Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has this ever happened to you? (Programming Holy Grail?!)  (Read 550 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
Has this ever happened to you? (Programming Holy Grail?!)
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:11:57 am »

All names have been changed to protect the users:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What's your take on this?

Rules: No Flaming.  If I count 2 flaming posts I'll just lock the thread.  No warnings.
1) Is there a programming language that sucks?
2) Are there any languages that you think should be buried? why?
3) What's popularity to a language?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:13:45 am by Alexhans »
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
Re: Has this ever happened to you? (Programming Holy Grail?!)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:30:15 am »

Seems pretty standard to me. Learning a programming language is a fair bit of time to invest. Obviously nobody wants to admit that this time was wasted. Therefore most programmers (especially ones with no form of formal education in programming in my experience) blindly believe their chosen language to be the best for whatever reason.

Visual Basic. I mean come on, if you have an undefined variable it takes the value of that variable to be 0 or an empty string, whatever is appropriate. No error, no warning. It just does it without telling you. The only way Visual Basic can be slightly useful is if you're using VB.NET, but even then...

No language should really be completely 'buried' because most languages are really good at doing some specific task. That doesn't mean some languages like C should still be so widely used though. IMHO, C is the most over-rated language out there. Yes, the language is fast but unless you're coding either an OS or for an embedded device, you DO NOT need that speed. And if you think you need the speed, then you're clearly failing at whatever you're trying to implement. It's an outdated language. Still handy to have around when you need it, but severely over-rated.

3) What's popularity to a language?
More than it should be. It's nice to be able to draw upon a wealth of tutorials and documentation from other users, but it shouldn't ever be a deciding factor in choosing a language. It matter more how the language fairs on its own.

I'm tired, so apologies for any spelling errors. Try an keep it civil, people. You can disagree without calling someone an idiot.
For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
Did they even call afterward?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:44:38 am »

I like QBasic, but I'm crazy . . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 06:52:28 am »

c++ remains one of the most powerful coding languages known to main
Was that intentional? main()? If so, quite clever.

Yes, countless of them.
See here.

Outside of intentionally terrible languages(where success can be seen as a fun challenge, and the languages are only used by people in their spare time as entertainment), the worst just end up forgotten and discarded, only leaving the better languages. "Better" is quite relative, however, so I'm sure that if you looked long enough, you would find many terrible languages that someone found good enough to use for some reason.

Every single one. However, "DWIM" is not a valid programming language yet, so some of the old and still usable ones must remain...
Eh?
Eh!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:15:32 am »

IMHO, C(++) is still very powerful for doing most things. It's a language that everyone knows, so it should be a lot of people's first programming language. Sort of like how most people, regardless of nationality should learn English - it's not the best, or the most beautiful, but it's a standard one. Not too outdated either.. low level stuff always tends to help in performance. You'll get more done with less code in higher level programming, but someone's still going to use C because it's the most balanced one.

The ones that suck are already sort of buried. No surprise, survival of the fittest.

Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.