Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I need some help choosing a new pc  (Read 2110 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: I need some help choosing a new pc
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 09:55:10 pm »

I heard that DF doesn't multicore. If that's true, a dual core at like 3 Ghz would be faster than a quad at 2 Ghz :P
Not necessarily.
Don't even think about comparing a Core 2 Duo with an i7.
The i7 will win.  Regardless of the clock speeds, as long as they're within reasonable ranges.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 10:00:04 pm »

Ya, but he wants a $600 PC, not a $600 CPU.  :P

As for PSU, I'm no expert (hence the reason I bought an 850W PSU for a rig which probably draws less than 400W at peak), but 450W should probably be fine. That said, unless you are going for one of the bundle deals with that PSU, you could probably find more powerful ones for that price. At the very least, I noticed a 550W continuous for the same price (even after the rebate on that one).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:04:31 pm by alway »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 10:19:54 pm »

First of all, it looks like some of those parts aren't compatible. The GPU is PCI-E2, while the mobo is set up for PCI-E. That RAM really isn't all that great either. Mine is 4GB corsair, DDR3 I think, with a faster speed, and I got it for less; over half a year ago. You could probably get better for less. Then you could use the money saved on that for a better mobo compatible with that GPU and DDR3 compatible.

Edit: Huh... seems there aren't good memory sales on newegg atm.

Ah well, its getting late. I better go before my advice slides into the odd rambling which comes with this time of night.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:28:15 pm by alway »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 08:52:31 pm »

At first glance, those look compatible. You had better check over everything a couple more times though before purchasing just to be sure.

DanJhonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 09:17:37 pm »

At first glance, those look compatible. You had better check over everything a couple more times though before purchasing just to be sure.

I've had a look over all the parts a few times and it all looks good to me, I'm still indecisive on the case, how many fans will i need? does the material its made of matter? Are there any other things i should look out for?

Also thanks for all the help guys.
Pages: 1 [2]