Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So Much Stone  (Read 2307 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So Much Stone
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 02:58:51 am »

I just believe that any substance that uses sunlight in its creation should not be trusted.
Certain foods are an exception, but you should still be wary of them.

I have it on good authority that the brewing process completely removes all sunlight from prickle berries.

Oh, I wouldn't advise eating them on their own. It's tough to wash all the sunlight off and you don't want to be eating that. But alcohol made from them is totally safe.

...err, no...wait. It's actually highly dangerous. So give me all your prickle berry wine so I can....dispose of it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 09:28:52 am »

Thanks; once I redesignated the stones for dumping a cloud of dwarves suddenly descended and cleaned things up.

I might combine the bins and dumps: the dumps can hold any excess while I use bins to store some relatively uninteresting stone in case I start running low (I presume there's no way to use stone from a dump, or there'd be no need for stockpiles)
As mentioned before, you can unforbid (even mass-unforbid) stone in a (quantum) dump to use it after it's been moved. The point of having stone stockpiles is that it will get filled automatically with the type of stone you want, without having to manually tell dwarves to move them there after specifically finding them. This is useful for placing valueable stones around workshops in case a moody dwarf takes it, and also for bringing all freshly mined ore/coal straight to the relevant workshops for fast processing. It's also nice to see at a glance whether your ore/coal stocks are running low and you need to go digging more up.

But yeah, for regular everyday stone you just want to tidy up and recycle into whatever products (blocks, crafts, mechanisms, furniture) - quantum dump then unforbid.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 12:16:36 pm »

Channel out a 3x3 space.
Build grates over all but two spaces
Grid should look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mark area around grates as dumping zone.
Dump all the rocks.
Build a single floor over the open space.
Watch as a cave-in utterly deletes your rocks.

Cave-ins do not destroy rock at all...   Go actually try this and see for yourself. 

The only way to get the excess rocks really gone is with an atom smasher, melt them in magma, or toss them down a bottomless pit.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 01:21:27 pm »

Cave-ins do not destroy rock at all...   Go actually try this and see for yourself. 
They do if you drop natural solid wall. Impact tile becomes wall, and it works same as obsidian encasing.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 01:37:01 pm »

They do if you drop natural solid wall. Impact tile becomes wall, and it works same as obsidian encasing.

The rock is not destroyed tho.  Sometimes it is knocked out of the way, but if it is not knocked out of the way, if you mine out the dropped stone wall, the rock is accessible again, and the whole time is being tracked and is eating its little share of FPS.

Regardless, the example was dropping a constructed floor anyway.

OK, I got to thinking and was wondering if maybe I was off in my thinking so I did some science, and what I describe is exactly what happens.

My experiment consisted of digging out a 21x21 room and channeling a 1x1 hole in the center.  I designated a dumping zone next to this and proceeded to dump all the rock from mining out the room into the hole.  Then I set up to drop a 1x1x1 block into the hole with the 300+ stone in it.  Before dropping the rock I made sure my book keeper was at max precision and noted down 340 stones in my stocks menu.  Then I dropped the block into the hole and checked stocks and still had 340 stone.  K'ing over the dropped tile just showed rough stone, however the stones in the stocks menu, when zoomed to, all zoomed to the rock wall I had dropped.  I then channeled the rock back out, and all 340 rocks were back and accesible.

In short COLLAPSING STUFF ONTO STONES DOES NOT DELETE THEM, IT ONLY HIDES THEM FROM VIEW, THEY ARE STILL THERE.

By all means, if you do not believe me, try this out on your own (here is a copy of the save for my test even). But I stand by my words that the only way to truly eliminate stone is via the means I specified in my previous reply to this topic.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:11:21 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 02:21:30 pm »

Turn excess stone into grates. Grates can be placed over natural floors and constructions so you can effectively "carpet" a dwarf's excess living space with grates which will add to room value. Incidentally, they are not opaque and your dwarfs will still admire the carvings upon the floors as well.

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 03:30:56 pm »

I just believe that any substance that uses sunlight in its creation should not be trusted.
Certain foods are an exception, but you should still be wary of them.

I have it on good authority that the brewing process completely removes all sunlight from prickle berries.

Oh, I wouldn't advise eating them on their own. It's tough to wash all the sunlight off and you don't want to be eating that. But alcohol made from them is totally safe.

...err, no...wait. It's actually highly dangerous. So give me all your prickle berry wine so I can....dispose of it.
Eeeech! I haaate Prickle Berries! I refuse to ever have any of them anywhere near my fortress. Disgusting things. They smell like a used toilet. Used by Elves, that is.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 09:42:14 pm »

I just found new way to get rid of unneeded stone in meaningful way.
I designated separate furniture stockpile near atomsmasher which accepts only low-quality items (not exceptional or masterwork), and just mass-dump its content down from time to time. So I can train masons and mechanics to legendaries and get rid of the stone in same time.
Pages: 1 2 [3]