Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flasks and Backpacks  (Read 1115 times)

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flasks and Backpacks
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:28:42 pm »

Is there a trick to getting your military dwarves to equip flasks and backpacks and fill them with supplies? They are set to carry any drink and 2 rations in the military menu, and I have an ample supply of flasks and backpacks. Out of a squad of 10, 1 or 2 have a flask and the same number have a backpack.

I tried adding trousers and tunics to the squad uniform in case they needed something to attach their flask to, but it doesn't seem to have had an effect yet (despite producing 60 tunics and 60 trousers of fine dyed cloth).

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flasks and Backpacks
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:59:02 pm »

They seem to get them after a while.  Arsenal dwarf is probably needed.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 02:05:20 pm »

It's been like 5 years... they're fully equipped with steel, so my arsenal dwarf is clearly doing his job with respect to armor and weapons.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:25:50 pm »

Are the flasks/backpacks unforbidden and in a stockpile?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 04:31:26 pm »

Good luck, dwarves equip whatever they feel like.  I couldn't get mine to touch backpacks.  Try changing their uniform to nothing, waiting for them to dump their stuff, then resetting their steel uniform?
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...