Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few Burrow questions.  (Read 754 times)

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few Burrow questions.
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:39:33 pm »

Number one:
Is there a way to take reduce the size of a burrow? Because I can't seem to find it.

Number two;
How do alerts and burrows relate? At the moment, I've got some burrows defined, and dwarves assigned, and they're all happily staying away from the cruel outside world, but when I tell my miners to dig out that bit of unknown, they refuse. I seem to be able to toggle between "Everyone stays in the burrows they're assigned to" and "everyone stays in the burrows they're assigned to", so can I get a quick explanation as to how I get them to just ignore the burrows?

Thanks in advance. And I'm afraid I won't be able to reply to anything straight-away. "Just one more season!" + 30fps does not a healthy sleep-schedule make, and I think I'm close t...

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few Burrow questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 05:37:06 pm »

1- While designing the burrow, there is a key to switch between adding and removing ("s" IIRC), similar to how the "x" key works when making zones.

2- You can't get dwarves to ignore their burrow (read further for exception). Miners, wood cutters, engraver and other dwarves with jobs not linked to workshops are probably better left without assigned burrow. According to the development page, Toady is planning to make dwarves ignore burrows for jobs like mining and engraving, but it isn't the case yet.

Burrows can be linked to alert from the military screen: by pressing "a" while in the military screen, selecting the alert and moving selection right to the burrow to be linked. When a burrow is linked to an alert, every civilian will head for that burrow when you change the civ alert (also in military screen) and will ignore any other burrow restrictions; i.e. dwarves will go to that burrow even if it's outside their normal one.

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few Burrow questions.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:13:57 am »

1- While designing the burrow, there is a key to switch between adding and removing ("s" IIRC), similar to how the "x" key works when making zones.

2- You can't get dwarves to ignore their burrow (read further for exception). Miners, wood cutters, engraver and other dwarves with jobs not linked to workshops are probably better left without assigned burrow. According to the development page, Toady is planning to make dwarves ignore burrows for jobs like mining and engraving, but it isn't the case yet.

Burrows can be linked to alert from the military screen: by pressing "a" while in the military screen, selecting the alert and moving selection right to the burrow to be linked. When a burrow is linked to an alert, every civilian will head for that burrow when you change the civ alert (also in military screen) and will ignore any other burrow restrictions; i.e. dwarves will go to that burrow even if it's outside their normal one.

Ahh, I get it. Thank you very much. Guess I'll just have to go searching for that button then.