Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few simple questions  (Read 750 times)

Sparrowhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few simple questions
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:49:22 pm »

1. Can you use ocean water to irrigate underground farms? Without desalinating it? I tried to designate a zone over the ocean edge for this purpose but making it a water source didn't light up as it normally would, wondering if this is a bug.

2. If you give a dwarf military skills upon embark (I'm in a terrifying biome and it seemed appropriate) do they get any free starting gear in the new verson?

3. There seems to be a number of different ideas on exactly which stones are flux stones. Can anyone give me a definitive list?

4. On a related note, why are some forms of rock listed as gray and others as white? I know some of the white ones are flux, but you also get things like Mudstone and so forth that are also white. Anyone know what this is for?

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few simple questions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:28:14 pm »

In regards to #1, I'm pretty sure that even though it won't show up as a water source, dwarves will still fill buckets in the salt water for the purpose of dumping it into a pond zone.  At least, I'm pretty sure it worked in 40d.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:04:29 am »

3) Calcite, Chalk, Dolomite, Limestone, Marble. Straight from the wiki. :P

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:14:03 am »

1. Anything that leaves mud can be used for irrigation.
2. Nope.
3. ^^^What he said
4. Because there's a jillion kinds of rock and having them all be gray would look really boring.

Laith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:24:17 am »

In regard to #4, I'm fairly sure he's talking about the soil/rock layers listed at embark.  The brown layers are soil, sedimentary layers (which include mudstone) are white, metamorphic and igneous intrusive layers are light grey, and igneous extrusive layers are dark grey.  Different stones and ores and gems will be found in specific layers.

Sparrowhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:52:19 am »

Ahhh, many thanks :)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 05:59:05 pm »

Actually,

2. Yes. At least if you give them high archer and crossbowman skill, and slightly lower ambusher skill, and all other skills lower than that. You'll get leather armour and a crossbow. I don't know which parts of that are necessary though.

ASnogarD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 06:20:10 pm »

I may as well ask my question here as well...

Migration : How do YOU control it ? What triggers big or small migrations ?

I ask because my latest and most promising fort was overrun by migrants I simply wasnt prepared to deal with... I dont really mind as I enjoy trying new starting ideas but the last one took the biscut... I went from a happy 21 dwarfs to 46 in one wave, it was like oh  :o, ok..abandon. (it had some other faults I didnt like anyways  :P).

Oh, while I am here how do you get a loitering dwarf to shift his arse out of your desperately needed water channels before your fort starves to death because there is no farm because it hasnt been irrigated with water yet, he nearly got a bath but he did move on his own... nick named him Fort Dunce.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:42:06 pm »

Migration : How do YOU control it ? What triggers big or small migrations ?
your fortress wealth contributes to more people hearing about your fort.  all that smoothing and engraving as well as selling to merchants boosts your wealth pretty high, causing an influx of migrants.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 07:17:56 pm »

And does the dwarve massive killing stop/lower the migration? Because i got about 80 dwarves killed by goblins that sneaked inside of my meeting hall and atomsmashed plenty of useless migrants, still with new almost-as-big-as-previous migration waves.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 07:21:34 pm »

They usually stop after so much death, unless wealth is really high.
See my sig for the message you get when nobody shows up.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ASnogarD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 07:24:57 am »

Strange , I didnt have anything of real value... a few boxes of shale rockcraft, some 'things' decorated with turtle shell... wasnt wealthy from what I could see as I wasnt concentrating on gathering wealth or making stuff just working on the waterworks and digging the crafts level out.

Ah well... next question.

Does building walls and floors effect cave ins and water pressure ?
( In effect if I want to tunnel under a dwarf made moat or reservoir , does building floors and walls make them more waterproof and resistant to caving in ? )

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:07:02 am »

"more waterproof"? "more resistant to cave-in"? Even in DF2010 these things are binary switches - either it is 100% waterproof or there is a gap and water will leak through. Likewise with cave-ins, either everything is connected to something or something is left suspended and it caves in. Tunnelling under water tiles will not make any leaks (you'll be facing a lot of warning messages though) - exception being if they were aquifer tiles. It's when you tunnel into walls (or corners) that you get leaking.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:28:30 am »

White stones in the embark screen is the flux stones, right? Except for marble, which is grey but still a flux.