Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Embarking in freezing tundra with volcano. What do I need?  (Read 3842 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking in freezing tundra with volcano. What do I need?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 10:25:49 pm »

The cave lobsters in the caverns, though...
...are redundant.  :D
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 12:21:38 am »

embark in a glacier instead. more fun. If shells are absolutely required, mod in shells on your dogs or something. easy supply of shell with a few lines of tags.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 07:40:48 pm »

embark in a glacier instead. more fun. If shells are absolutely required, mod in shells on your dogs or something. easy supply of shell with a few lines of tags.

... wow. I never even thought of that. That's sheer GENIUS!!

FEAR MY TURTLE-DOGS! (not to be confused with turtle doves)
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

troodon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 07:56:26 pm »

I never embark with a woodcutter.  The skill is easy enough to raise.  The skill doesn't effect value of the logs, just the logging speed.  You can give any friendless peasent an axe and have him go chop down trees.  That way when he is ambushed you loose nothing.

On this note, why ever embark with a woodcutter, or a miner, or a stonecrafter, or a dwarf with any other skill that either does not affect item quality or is essentially free to train?  I start with a carpenter, a weaponsmith, an armorsmith, a metalcrafter, and maybe a bone carver and a leather worker.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 07:12:26 pm »

The primary reason is that it takes alot longer to raise from Dabbling to Novice than it does to raise from Novice to Adequate (or whatever the next level is). Dunno why but that's how it goes.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 11:17:35 am »

Why embark with any skills? The migrants come with High Master whatevers :)

A doctor, a grower, and 5 peasants will see you through, but don't stop there. All you really need to bring is a training ax. You can hold out until the caravans with that, or less.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 01:00:09 pm »

I don't even bother with the doctor at first.  It took a few years before anyone generally requires a visit from a medic.  Unless you are aggressively exploring, of course, but I guess it depends on  how you spread out the risk.

I generally start with dwarfs that are expert liars and negotiators and get nothing done.
igless

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 02:09:12 pm »

I prefer adding the [shell] tag to chitin, (or to hooves if I'm feeling elfy)
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 03:24:55 pm »

Hooves and horns make nice shell items.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 03:32:02 pm »

Surely tundra is actually harder than a glacier? You can melt glacier ice with magma to get drinking water for a well, but tundra doesn't even have any water unless a river runs through the site...

Then again, if you're playing the new version then the surface biome doesn't make much difference since there is almost always access to water, plants and trees once you reach the caverns.

why ever embark with a woodcutter, or a miner

I would start with a miner because it means you can start digging out ore earlier - I don't like to lose half of the ore pieces from a vein because the miner wasn't skilled enough, and training first takes too long if you want metal ASAP.

I don't even bother with the doctor at first.  It took a few years before anyone generally requires a visit from a medic.

The doctor skills are hard to train (since it's difficult to control your 'accidents') and waiting for an immigrant with the right skills could take years, so I would at least have a diagnoser/wound dresser to provide basic treatment. Fixing broken bones is a bit buggy at the moment, but that might be useful as well for the inevitable cave-in injuries.
Pages: 1 [2]