Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.3 crash / workaround question  (Read 415 times)

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.3 crash / workaround question
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:52:52 pm »

Howdy y'all. My fort's in it's 8th year or so and yesterday I got an unexpected crash. I save seasonally so no big deal. From then on I was getting crashes periodically, maybe once and hour and a half, and it didn't seem to match to any particular game event. I just started saving every half an hour and it got around it that way.

Today, I played for maybe 10 minutes. Migrants showed up. I waited for 10 of them to get on the screen so I could put them all in the squad. At that point I paused the game. Without unpausing the game, after assigning maybe the 4th dwarf, the game crashed.

So I have a game crash that isn't tied to time advancing in the game (or the bug is back where time advances very slightly while the game is paused). Is there anything that is under my control that could be causing the crashes, that is, anything any dwarf is doing? Or does the new version have any bad process interactions? I'm not running any helper programs, like Dwarf TheRapist.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.3 crash / workaround question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:59:51 pm »

Time still advances while the game is paused in this version, sadly.

The military screen has some crash bugs, and some dwarves don't play nice with the military screen, causing arbitrary crashes. Some of the times it's been related to knife users, so you could check that. It might be helpful to figure out exactly what dwarf combination causes a crash, then report the crash on Mantis (including the save and the steps to reproduce).
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »

Dwarf TheRapist

Lol.

Also, check if you just started melting objects.  I was having issues with crashes and someone recommended canceling melting objects (now they are just piling up dust in my armory) and since then I have not had a crash. 
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »

I'll give turning off melting objects a try.  I'm having the exact same problem!

This worked!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:48:23 pm by VerdantSF »

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:52:34 am »

EDIT: I had this crash pretty frequently when I first started and I remembered what I did just now.  Check your error logs for something that says unrecognized token: SOLDIER_COLOR.  If you have that, find all [SOLDIER_COLOR] tokens in the entity_default of your data/save/raws and remove them.

I have had this crash too, and yes it seems to be related to melting items although its sometimes happens without that.  I have noticed that full or almost full stockpiles may have something to do with it, and also possibly military dwarves messing with daggers or other items they really have no buisness using (items tasked for melting?).  Also I use a People's Mass Housing Stockpile of the People where everyone gets their own huge engraved bedroom, and all of them are the same bedroom assigned using different beds, which strikes me as the sort of thing that could cause trouble. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:32:35 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 06:10:20 am »

Ya know, I have been melting iron from pieces of armor dropped by invaders for anvil making. That should be all done by now but I'll double check.

Thankee all