Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tons of items, unable to dump.  (Read 420 times)

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tons of items, unable to dump.
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:35:41 pm »

I seem to have a plethora of items laying all over the place, unable to be dumped.  They have a () surrounding them, not the {} of a forbidden item.  They are laying around in my stockpiles, and cluttering up the entrance to my fortress (many or all of them seem to be items dropped from enemies that have been killed).

A lot of the enemies were killed by incoming trade caravans.

I'm guessing this means the items are owned by someone else?

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I can get rid of them.  I've been temped to dig out the ground beneath them and build another floor over the top to seal them up.

On a side note, is there any way to get rid of blood too?  Can I flood the ground and wash it away?  I'm very OCD about things looking neat.

Thanks!
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tons of items, unable to dump.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:37:35 pm »

Common question lately.

Check your settings.

o -> r

O for settings, R for "dwarves gather refuse from outside"

By default, they ignore anything that is garbage (ie. dump) that is not in a square that is classified as INSIDE.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 07:53:59 pm »

For the blood thing, you can try submerging the tiles in water, or magma, or constructing walls then tearing them down, but the absolute simplest and quickest way is to take the dfhack stuff and run its cleaning utility. There's not really any other way of doing it quickly or without incredibly massive hassle (that probably won't work for very long, or have blood mysteriously popping up all over the place again some time laater).There's a fair chance something happens to make it all come back at some later point... but then you just run dfclean again.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:05:13 pm »

Thanks for both replies.  I will look into the dfhack thing.  As for the items, your suggestion has solved it for many of the items outside, but not for the pieces I am finding laying around the fortress.  They are not outside, and changing the setting then has no effect. 

Could it possibly be old clothes that my squad tossed on the ground when they changed into their armor?  If this is the case, is there any way to clean them up?

Thanks again!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:30:48 pm »

Parentheses around an item just means that it wasn't made by your fortress - it was either brought during embark (or immigration), acquired from a caravan, or looted from a dead "visitor".

Use [k] and view the item's properties - if it shows an Owner, then nobody will touch the item (unless moving it aside to make room for a building) other than the dwarf listed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 08:47:06 pm »

Quietust,

Thanks!

That was it, they are owned.  All of the other items were able to me moved using Cognitive's solution.  I never put 2 and 2 together because I was assuming that all of the problem was coming from one source.

You said no other dwarf will touch them, are there any clever ways to get rid of them so I can make my fortress nice and neat looking?  What if I kill off the owner?  Any less fun ways?

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 08:51:18 pm »

do the dwarves put the items in owned cabinets and coffers still? because that might get the stuff off of your floor.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:43:02 pm »

They might.  Right now my dwarves are just using communal areas for sleeping, etc so they don't have their own storage.  I should really start allocating them areas - this might solve the issue.

Thanks!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:03:11 pm »

Dwarves will, in fact, store their clothing etc. in cabinets.
They don't put them on though.... which is strange.

Also, generally you need 2 cabinets per dwarf to accommodate them. Picky bastards.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 10:04:38 pm »

You said no other dwarf will touch them, are there any clever ways to get rid of them so I can make my fortress nice and neat looking?  What if I kill off the owner?  Any less fun ways?

Apparently, death doesn't fully cancel ownership. One of my miner fish cleaner died twice by drowning (crash + can't be bothered saving him) and both times some of the items could not be dumped or stockpiled: 3 pieces of clothing the first time and a single sock the second.