Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: kill order: how does it work?  (Read 364 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
kill order: how does it work?
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:17:45 pm »

What does this actually do?  I had my 20 troops stationed together; the forgotten beast came in close (5 tiles or so), I put on an order for both squads to kill it.  One dwarf attacks and dies.  The forgotten beast steps back.  Another dwarf goes in for the death.  Forgotten beast is a bit hurt now and starts to flee (slowly, he's lost a leg); after a while, two dwarves finally sally forth.  The other 16 were just picking their noses?

A month later another forgotten beast came up.  Most of the army just sat around in the dining room, taking breaks to go sleep or eat.  Again, only about one or two dwarves would attack at any one time; when one of them would fall, he'd be replaced.  It seems it so much like it was keeping a steady two dwarves in the fight that I wonder if there's a setting somewhere in there that I didn't know to change.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: kill order: how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:21:44 pm »

(The second forgotten beast, by the way, is currently walking around armless on his stumps, biting my dwarves' legs off.)

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:30:02 pm »

I've had similar problem with attack orders issued to multiple dwarves. I have no idea how the attack order works, but I doubt it is "as intended". Try using the move order instead and station dwarves close to the enemy; it's working very well so far for me.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:32:07 pm »

1. Issue kill order with k from your squad menu targeting something.
2. Watch your dwarf go around the map, attacking things at random.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:37:16 pm »

Hmm... Then there's a bug.  They weren't wandering randomly.