Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blisterin' Blood  (Read 575 times)

nerpnerpnerp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Blisterin' Blood
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:21:47 am »

So I have a problem. In my Dwarf Fortress, Fortress mode game, I have an abundance of blood, everywhere. I'm currently using the Mayday version. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but lately some of the blood has been of the blistering kind, and because the dwarves tend to track it everywhere I've got many, many dwarves in my hospital with giganticly swollen feet. I'm also constantly getting messages of unconscious animals trying to clean themselves. Considering I don't really know how to either turn off blood or clean it up I'm probably going to end up with a bloody equivalent of tiny iron spikes everywhere on my floor.

TL;DR I need to know how to get rid of blood.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Blisterin' Blood
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:25:52 pm »

DF hack has a utility that cleans up smears, spatterings, and pools of blood, vomit, ichor, pus, and pretty much everything except mud.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:45:36 pm »

You can wash it away, but this may be awkward depending on the layout of your fort (a lot easier if everything is on one z-level). You'd probably need to wash the dwarves as well or they'd just go tracking it everywhere again. I'm not sure what depth would be needed, but dwarf-safe levels should be enough (i.e. less than 4/7).

Although thinking about it, this would replace the blood with mud... it solves the blistering problem so it might be an improvement...?

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:37:55 pm »

let us know if the frame rate changes any.  I imagine it takes a bit of cpu power to continually update the frame with the smears.
igless

nerpnerpnerp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:14:07 am »

DF hack has a utility that cleans up smears, spatterings, and pools of blood, vomit, ichor, pus, and pretty much everything except mud.
I did this and it worked for the other area where the blood was originally, as well as cleaning up the massive bloodstains everywhere else, which was nice, but unfortunately those damn dwarves have tracked it to my well which is already pretty muddy and a main thoroughfare which the utility doesn't clean.

You can wash it away, but this may be awkward depending on the layout of your fort (a lot easier if everything is on one z-level). You'd probably need to wash the dwarves as well or they'd just go tracking it everywhere again. I'm not sure what depth would be needed, but dwarf-safe levels should be enough (i.e. less than 4/7).

Although thinking about it, this would replace the blood with mud... it solves the blistering problem so it might be an improvement...?
I think I'll do a little of both here and provided that it'll wash away the blood even if it's on mud already this is definitely a promising solution.