Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about these mystery migrants?  (Read 506 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Anyone know anything about these mystery migrants?
« on: May 02, 2010, 01:20:11 pm »

Hi!

My new fortress currently passing through winter, I left it running while eating dinner. When I returned, it has stopped in early Obsidiann because I had the first birth in my fortress. Before unpausing, I went through the announcement log to see if there was anything interesting. And I found this:
A group of elven migrants, The Nature of Quieting, has decided to stay.
That was about two weeks before.
So, I checked the units screen, but nothing there.
The location I am on are the ruins of a human town in a world with only one cave layer and no magma or stuff below that. There is no living dwarven civ, and I only got into trade contact with the elves (might be that the humans are at war with me). In order to check whether the humans are there but hostile, I turned ON invaders before I had gone to dinner. The cavern layer had also been found but not explored yet.

Since I couldn't find the elves, I breached the cavern layer for real and started exploring it, but even with 70% or so uncovered, I couldn't get the elves. And then, messing around too much with the military caused the game to crash during spring (^_^;;

So, I am wondering what has happened. Anyone else know something about such strange migrants?

Deathworks

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about these mystery migrants?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 01:31:33 pm »

You basically got a group of wanderers. You know, civs without actual sites are shown as those. Watch out for massive empty spaces directly below your dining room.
Also, I am now imagining a group of elves venturing into the depths of the world to find whatever makes the dorfs cut down trees and destroy it. Or earning a [MAGMA_IMMUNE] tag for their whole race. Or, you know, the usuals - taking a nice long bath.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:55:56 pm »

Hi!

Thank you for that reply.

I am still wondering where they went. After all, the text said they wanted to stay, and there were only the edges of the cavern system left for them.

I was also wondering how they would behave. Judging from the text, I would have expected them to be neutral/friendly towards me, so it would have given an interesting opportunity for investigative interaction...

Deathworks

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:58:38 pm »

Elven wanderers coming to stay. *regrets decision to wait until some bugfixes to play*
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 04:16:54 pm »

I remember someone else had this happen to them, though unfortunately I don't remember any of the details.

If you prod the search function enough it might find it for you.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!