Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: health care: water source issue  (Read 537 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
health care: water source issue
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:06:08 pm »

I have a well into an underground lake; it lists itself as being "active".  It's reachable, as evidenced both by the blood smears left behind by a trapped macaque and by the donkeys that seem to like to chill out near the well.  Now I have a couple dwarves resting off broken bones, and the give water jobs are getting cancelled for lack of a water source.  Any hints?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: health care: water source issue
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:26:51 am »

Hi!

Unfortunately, I have not encountered this problem and thus do not know for sure. But there is one thing I want to ask you: Do you have any unclaimed buckets available? That is the only problem I can think of that would impede the give water job.

Deathworks

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 02:36:56 am »

I have a well into an underground lake; it lists itself as being "active".  It's reachable, as evidenced both by the blood smears left behind by a trapped macaque and by the donkeys that seem to like to chill out near the well.  Now I have a couple dwarves resting off broken bones, and the give water jobs are getting cancelled for lack of a water source.  Any hints?
Try designating drinking zone around the well (3x3 area). And set orders-zones-drink from zone only.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:21:26 am »

Is there a limit to how many dwarfs can use the well at once?  Or possibly you've forbidden a component of it so they can't use it anymore.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:21:44 am »

I couldn't assign a water source to that well.

I built a second well.  Now they use the first well.

Torgan may actually be on to something.  There were multiple wounded dwarves, and the well was far away.  So maybe everything was fine and it just looked like they were failing to use the well because only dwarf could be watered at a time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:23:27 am by numerobis »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 01:53:41 pm »

Hi!

Well, wells can be used only by one dwarf at a time. Also note that they are not instantaneous. Instead, the well's bucket will actually be lowered to the water and then rise again. You can watch its descend if you like. So, if you have a very deep well, the rate of 'production' is highly reduced.

Deathworks

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 04:07:59 pm »

The first time I saw a bucket, then a line, wait a bit, then a bucket again, then back to open space above water -- I was quite impressed.

I notice also that the animals seem to use the wells to clean themselves off, so that probably increases the contention.  To the point that my ranger died of dehydration.  Oh well, another coffin made of worthless stone that I can tuck away in the mined-out hematite vein.