Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New guy here! Spare a moment to answer my bug questions?  (Read 419 times)

Drewbob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New guy here! Spare a moment to answer my bug questions?
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:37:02 pm »

Man!  I must admit, this game is amazing!  I'm having loads of fun with it, and I haven't even started losing yet!

That said, the bugs are making me very sad....

I'd love to build neat fortifications that crossbowdwarves can use to fend off assailants, but I've read that crossbows are exceedingly glitched.  Question:  Should I even bother trying to train some crossbowdwarves under these conditions?  Or should I just focus on my melee units.

Also, they say that hospitals and health-care is messed up too.  Should I even try to set up a hospital for the wounded?  Or should I just let God sort them out?  (And no hospital means there's no point to assign a chief medical dwarf, right?)

Thanks!  :D

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New guy here! Spare a moment to answer my bug questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:39:48 pm »

Short Answer: Don't bother with marksdwarves, do bother with a hospital.

Long Answer: Marksdwarves are essentially unworkable right now. Meleedwarves are a step up, but it's better just to use traps where you can.

Hospitals may not save every patient, but they will save some, and they are better than nothing. I've had a success ratio of about 1:3. There's no reason not to assign a chief medical dwarf, since you can always remove his role later, and he never demands anything.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:43:14 pm by Omath Erius »
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:48:26 pm »

Man!  I must admit, this game is amazing!  I'm having loads of fun with it, and I haven't even started losing yet!

That said, the bugs are making me very sad....

I'd love to build neat fortifications that crossbowdwarves can use to fend off assailants, but I've read that crossbows are exceedingly glitched.  Question:  Should I even bother trying to train some crossbowdwarves under these conditions?  Or should I just focus on my melee units.

Well, I have never got my  marksdwarves to shoot an arrow/bolt at an enemy  (despite them being perfectly capable of peppering targets at the shooting range with arrows/bolts), despite already having built several fortresses in 0.31
Has led me to the conclusion to not trust CB/Archerdwarves for now and prefer melee dwarves for the moment (although I still have some CB dwarves in my military...you never know, maybe at  one fortress I havemore luck and they work...after all some people have reported that this sometimes is thecase ;) )

Also, they say that hospitals and health-care is messed up too.  Should I even try to set up a hospital for the wounded?  Or should I just let God sort them out?  (And no hospital means there's no point to assign a chief medical dwarf, right?)

Thanks!  :D

In contrast to marksdwarves hospitals most of the times perform the job they were made for. So IMHO  it is useful to have a hospital

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:30:13 pm »

Hi!

Not really a heavy user of the military, so no comment on that.

Hospitals are doing quite well. However, there are occasionally bugs that cause procedures to fail repeatedly/continue forever. So, you want to check for strange behavior around the hospital. But usually, you can set things right.

However, create your hospital as soon as possible! One of the two patients I lost got seemingly caught by a bug cause by me creating the hospital only AFTER she got seriously injured. And no matter what I tried, I couldn't save her.

But when the hospital is up and running, the patients are usually looked after.

Deathworks

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:15:38 pm »

If you're dead-set on ranged combat (and why wouldn't you be?), try setting up a bridge your enemies must cross that is very long but narrow, so you can have a permanent ballista set up to pepper them with very large arrows.

Bonus points for sealing them on said bridge.

Crude attempt at drawing:

B}+----=====================----^

Where B is your ballista, } is your fortification, + is the crossroads (so your dwarves can use the area), - is a drawbridge, = is land, and ^ is the pressure plate they tripped to make the drawbridges retract, leaving them at the mercy of your ballista (when you get around to it).

Good hunting :D

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 03:56:02 pm »

I'd love to build neat fortifications that crossbowdwarves can use to fend off assailants, but I've read that crossbows are exceedingly glitched.  Question:  Should I even bother trying to train some crossbowdwarves under these conditions?
No.
Should I even try to set up a hospital for the wounded?
No.  Last couple times I tried I got 'overwrote job' and some healty dwarves inexplicably rested to death.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.