Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with resolution and the like.  (Read 706 times)

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Problems with resolution and the like.
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:25:22 pm »

My monitor is 1440x900, And I'm trying to run it in windowed mode. But there's one catch. I want the tiles (Vanilla curses font) to be larger, as I have trouble reading stuff with my eyesight. I want it to have no black spaces at the edge, so I'll need to increase grid size. But when I do that, it makes things even harder to read. Halp?
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with resolution and the like.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:48:38 pm »

Grid size determines how many tiles are shown. If you want larger tiles, you need to reduce the grid size, not the opposite.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:50:33 pm »

I don't know if you're particularly attached to the vanilla font, but have you considered any of the alternative tilesets? Some have a larger gridsize higher resolution than the default 16x16, which might help; more to the point, some of the fonts might more more legible than others. Copy [erm, tileset of your choice?] into data\art, and modify init.txt (you know how to whistle, don't you?).
If this doesn't fit, or you're sure you want to use curses.bmp, try "overstating" the resolution of the tileset (say, 24x24p instead of the actual 16x16p) and using that figure to calculate the gridsize ((windowed x-axis resolution)/(quoted tile resolution):(windowed y-axis resolution)/(quoted tile resolution)),
e.g. for a screen resolution of 1440x456, and the tiles appearing stretched x1.5,
[GRID:60:18]

[edit: whoops]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:01:36 pm by soup_alex »
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:51:57 pm »

Put your resolution in, divide it by 16 or whatever the tile size is, and put that number in the grid area.