Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: POSSIBLE bug, CTD  (Read 453 times)

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
POSSIBLE bug, CTD
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:34:32 pm »

Hullo, chaps.

So, I might have found a bug that forces a crash but I'm still testing it and am growing more suspicious that it might be "melting socks". I'm not really familiar with said bug, however, so I thought it better to check here to be sure; I've checked the bug tracker and bugs forum for more information, but I'm still a little in the dark as to the specifics of this... bug... so please bear with me.

The game crashes with no internal message and no error log some time in early winter. I have a metalsmith happily melting lots of copper, silver and iron arrows that the goblin bowmen who murdered the fort's previous occupants forgot to take with them when they left. These arrows have been dropped in a bin in a stockpile not far from the magma smelter, needless to say I have been keeping a close eye on this dwarf and monitoring everything he has taken to the smelter since I heard about the unmeltable bug. On my last try, he got thirsty and I took the melt job off repeat. He finishes melting an iron arrow, then goes to the dining hall for a quick one. Everything is hunky-dory. While nobody is in danger of melting any damn socks, I check on the rest of my dwarves, and come back later to find my metalsmith idle in the meeting hall, some distance from my metalworking area. Fine. I create a new melting job at the smelter, back out, unpause the game (and I may have fiddled with a few other workshops and the military screen before unpausing, but nothing major?) and watch it suddenly crash.

So, what gives? I was labouring under the impression that the melting bug caused a crash only when a dwarf took a [sock, or unmeltable whatever] to the smelter and actually tried to melt it, and my metalsmith was nowhere near the smelter at the time of the crash, although he may have just activated a job to haul an unmeltable item to the shop. Does this corellate with the accepted behaviour of said bug? If so, is there any workaround (other than never creating any more melt jobs)? I'd really like to get past the first year of this fort some time.

Oh, and I've started seeing the crash-on-cleaning-objects bug. Tallies with other reports of this bug, but occurs 100% of the time on saving manually (but this is less concerning than the other crash as it doesn't break the game, as far as I can tell).

Cheers.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: POSSIBLE bug, CTD
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 08:00:30 pm »

Yea, the cleaning objects crash hopefully won't cause you any real problems.

The melting bug is pretty inconsistent - it will definitely crash if something unmeltable is melted, but it also seems to be crashing even when meltable objects are melted - looted goblin armour, for example. It's also possible the very process of trying to path to the unmeltable object and consider melting it is enough to cause the game to crash, which is a much bigger problem then.

It could also have been that your military messing caused a crash, since random dwarves can be bugged and cause crashes.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
Re: POSSIBLE bug, CTD
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:24:52 pm »

It's happened again, and while Urist McMetalsmith was in the process of melting an arrow. Assuming that he's going through the stockpile in the same order as every other time before, melting this particular arrow isn't a problem, which must mean that this crash is related to something else?

The only military messing I've been doing lately has been to add dwarves to a squad (with no uniform and no supplies, recruits have all labours deactivated except for the default healing ones, animal care, hauling, and cleaning). So far, two of the three dwarves I want in the squad are happily wrestling with themselves on individual combat drills at opposite sides of the same barracks (and yes, they're on Inactive, although I have also been toggling this manually to promote military-related activity in #3). The third, previously a woodcutter, has agreed to put down his damn axe, but won't do anything but eat, drink and haul (and naturally sits idle when hauling is deactivated). Seemingly anything but go and train, but I'm used to this sort of behaviour and might just vent my frustration by smashing him in the near future... for the moment, it's the unannounced and unpredictable(?) CTDs that are drawing my attention.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.