Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d, friendly fire?  (Read 475 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d, friendly fire?
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:34:05 pm »

So I want to check out functional ranged combat, so I'm going to give 40d a try.  However, I was wondering if allies can be hit by friendly crossbow fire.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
Re: 40d, friendly fire?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:52:04 pm »

Not from crossbows, if that's what you mean. But be careful with those siege weapons...
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 03:00:35 pm »

Siege weapons and traps yes. Crossbows or melee attacks no.

Weapon traps are special in that they are smart enough to differentiate friendly from enemy, but if the dwarf is knocked unconscious he'll trigger the trap anyways.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:30:21 pm »

Siege weapons and traps yes. Crossbows or melee attacks no.

Weapon traps are special in that they are smart enough to differentiate friendly from enemy, but if the dwarf is knocked unconscious he'll trigger the trap anyways.

The only 'trap' that will hurt conscious friendly units is a spike trap, and that needs to be operated by lever or pressure plate. All other types are safe (stonefall, cage and weapon).

Traps you make from scratch (like drowning chambers or retracting bridges) are only as safe as you build them to be :P.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:51:15 pm »

Are you sure the cages are safe, I somehow ended up with a dwarf in a cage.  he wasn't wounded as far as I could tell.  he was getting hungry by the time I noticed him though... someone thoughtfully had dragged him and his cage to the animal stockpile.
igless

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 03:52:35 pm »

Not from crossbows, if that's what you mean. But be careful with those siege weapons...
Catapults won't hit friendlies.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 04:17:01 pm »

Are you sure the cages are safe, I somehow ended up with a dwarf in a cage.  he wasn't wounded as far as I could tell.  he was getting hungry by the time I noticed him though... someone thoughtfully had dragged him and his cage to the animal stockpile.

I think he must have fallen asleep on top of the cage trap? Unconscious creatures can get hit by traps, even if they are friendly.