Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Access the Magma for Greater Dwarven Glory?  (Read 501 times)

Shadowslasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to Access the Magma for Greater Dwarven Glory?
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:00:13 am »

In my first fortress of the new version, I'm having a bit of a problem. I found the magma ocean, way down, but how can I tap it? I try mining the walls down at the highest level, which should be open space and says open space, but the magma shoots through my mining shafts. What should I be doing to be able to build magma forges and etc?

Rapidfirewombat

• Bay Watcher
  • Size: 8
    • View Profile
Re: How to Access the Magma for Greater Dwarven Glory?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:27:39 pm »

Maybe post a screenshot or an illustration so we can lock down the problem.  I think your description could be interpreted a couple of ways, so a visual aid would make sure you get the right answer.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:52:04 pm »

You want to mine the floor over the magma, not the walls beside it.  Check the "Open Space" area for magma.  If it says Magma 7/7, then the open space is filled with magma and cutting into the surrounding wall will release that magma.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 01:02:05 pm »

You want to mine the floor over the magma, not the walls beside it.  Check the "Open Space" area for magma.  If it says Magma 7/7, then the open space is filled with magma and cutting into the surrounding wall will release that magma.

I made this mistake the first time - cost me a miner, lol.

once you've located the magma sea, dig out space above it (one z-level up) and channel holes in the floor to put your magma workshops over.

Shadowslasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 01:05:34 pm »

Thank you!