Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Magma Drill  (Read 4788 times)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Drill
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 02:16:42 pm »

I think he's suggesting materials based on rarity/difficuly to acquire, not on actual properties of the material.

It should almost definitely be based on material properties, or it Makes No Sense.  Like making armor out of gold because "it looks cool, so should be more awesome."

Never said I agreed with him; just seemed like you were having trouble understanding why he went from talking about platinum to talking about steel.  I agree with you, it should be based on the properties of the material.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 02:43:08 pm »

Never said I agreed with him;

Never said you did.  And thanks for clearing it up, becuase I was confused as to why platinum and when I asked him I got back "is steel harder to get?"

Almost a, "Does silver armor sound better?" kind of response to "why is it made out of gold?"

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2010, 04:10:53 pm »

I'd support the pipe solution.

The current pump stack is just too ridiculous for my tastes...
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 05:34:46 am »

Never said you did.  And thanks for clearing it up, becuase I was confused as to why platinum and when I asked him I got back "is steel harder to get?"
Well yes, its about the preferences PLUS the difficulty

Almost a, "Does silver armor sound better?" kind of response to "why is it made out of gold?"
no.

About the Pipe-Pump. Well I dont know, it would need a pressure pump and I dont think, that all people will like this one.
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 07:46:33 am »

About the Pipe-Pump. Well I dont know, it would need a pressure pump and I dont think, that all people will like this one.

I fail to see what would be so terrible about a pressure pump?

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 09:44:58 am »

Maybe we can try to be more concrete about pros and cons than just "maybe people won't like that solution".

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 06:29:54 pm »

Well, I think that the most important pros and cons are what affect peoples' tastes; and that they can usually figure out for themselves.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2010, 06:26:22 am »

pressure pumps don't seem too hard. think about it: a simple pump like that could be made out of a pipe section with a piston and some valves to keep the water from coming back. people in the middle ages were smarter than we think, too. sure, they didn't build anything like that but they didn't need to.. their buildings weren't that high, and the most luxurious cities usually got water from a high source. but these are dwarves: building vertically is as natural to them as breathing is to us. they would have invented a pressure pump out of simple necessity!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]