Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quadruple helix stairwell  (Read 540 times)

pianosaurus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Quadruple helix stairwell
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:43:35 pm »

After a lot of fortresses created with no real care, I decided to plan out one ahead for once. No more digging out a random hole in the wall whenever I need some room. My new grand design features a central stairwell helix with a gap in the centre, going all the way down. In the middle of the gap, there's an engraved pillar.

Top level:
Code: [Select]
>   >
  ---
  -O-
  ---
 >   >

Spoiler: Next levels (click to show/hide)

I don't remember what characters would be used in vanilla (I'm using Phoebus). I'm hoping it'll look good in Stonesense, when the next version (supporting 2010) is released. I just got the top floor finished, and had the pillar engraved before starting to channel. Hoping that my top level would feature the founding of this future dwarven city, I was rather disappointed when Urist McWindowlover decided to engrave his favouritest thing in the whole wide world: a window.

Actually, it is called "The Patterns of Thirst", and is a superiorly designed image of a window. I'm just going to fill my fort with glass-walled water-filled channels, and it will make perfect sense.

Anyway, I just have two quick questions:
  • Is it possible for the dwarves to study the engraving from a distance, or do I have to bridge the gap? What about adventure mode?
  • I'm going to depressurise water for those channels I mentioned. Dwarves can move diagonally, even though the corners of the two other tiles meet. Water is depressurised through such a crack. It strikes me that at least one of them should be considered an exploit. Call me eccentric, but I don't like diagonal doorways. There's something eerie about them. Any thoughts?

Also: This is my first post. woooOOOooot.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quadruple helix stairwell
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:11:48 pm »

Nice idea - should look good!

To answer your questions:

1) Not sure about dwarves... I think they only care about engravings in defined rooms, like dining halls and bedrooms. You'll be able to see it in adventurer mode using the look command.

2) I don't often use diagonal doorways (I agree - something not quite right about them!), and I don't use the depressurising thing. Dwarves moving diagonally between walls is not an exploit, just the only way to illustrate it with ASCII (walls wouldn't actually be as thick as a doorway is wide). Depressurising water might be an exploit... I'm not sure why diagonal gaps affect the pressure - if it's a quirk of the fluid dynamics code or an intentional feature.

pianosaurus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:23:53 pm »

1) Not sure about dwarves... I think they only care about engravings in defined rooms, like dining halls and bedrooms.

Ok. I've noticed their description will sometimes tell you that they have 'admired a fine <something> lately'. Engravings aren't objects, of course, but I figured they could probably admire them anyway.

Thanks for your help. I'll post a screenie from Stonesense when it's released.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 01:35:42 am »

I am not even sure if the dwarves even care about the engravings (except for the creator).
For all you know they look at items you place in the room, but they take the engravings for granted and they only add to room value.