Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enemies levelling up through combat?  (Read 433 times)

Jazzfunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enemies levelling up through combat?
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:39:54 am »

Sorry if this is a newbie question, which it probably is.
In my last fortress I became quite annoyed at a captured alligator that, after escaping from its cage while I was trying to transport it, went on a rampage through my fort.  Naturally I sent my fledgling military to fight it.  Naturally I forgot to replace their training axes with real ones.  So, after half an hour of ineffective alligator bludgeoning, I noticed that the description of the beast had changed and that it had acquired a name and seemingly had become stronger, even after suffering many broken bones and bruises. In the end my stupid dwarves never picked up the steel weapons I assigned them and the alligator became pretty much unkillable.

Is this "beast levelling" normal? Could this be a good way to train up beasts before you tame into war animals? Running around with a named, epic alligator as a war beast would be pretty cool, if it is possible at all.

EDIT: The alligator also managed to kill two of my dwarves and a war dog, if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:42:34 am by Jazzfunk »

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Enemies levelling up through combat?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:52:42 am »

I don't think that they get any more powerful but once a creature kills something it becomes named.

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:53:26 am »

animals gain a name when they kill a dwarf (or two?).  As for if they gain skills, I don't think they do

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 11:20:50 am »

If said animal gets lots of kills, it even gets a title to go along with that name. Just like dwarves.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.