Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defensive 'assistance'  (Read 846 times)

delphey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Defensive 'assistance'
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:27:16 pm »

So I started my first ever fort in the middle of a human town, for no good reason.  The human town consisted of 4 rectangular forts of a few z-levels each. One of these I took over for initial living space, and then dug down for everything else. 

For defense, I have a terribly long corridor of traps outside, with a drawbridge at the end in case things get hairy.  I built a big outer wall encircling a lot of the map, using the 3 other forts as part of it to cut down on what I needed to make.

But, there is alternative method to get inside.  I have connected the 3 other forts together (all of which are full of about 20-30 humans each), in such a way that if I raise the drawbridge, the only pathway invaders can use to get to my dwarves is to go through each z-level of each of the 3 other forts, in a maze-like path so that they have to walk past about 90% of the humans inside.  Then, they can proceed via a hole in a fort wall to get me, where I have another drawbridge in case an unkillable gets through. 

Unfortunately it has been 2-3 years waiting and no ambushes or sieges, so I haven't been able to test it out.  I'm really looking forward to seeing a war.

I think this would be more entertaining with an Elven town though... those hypocrite bastards. 

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
Re: Defensive 'assistance'
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:51:47 am »

It would suck to go through all that work and then discover that there are no neighboring goblin civilizations.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:57:58 am »

Have fun with your first siege, when the humans will realize that this is their chance to rise up against their dwarven oppressors and will all turn hostile.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:40:53 am »

It would suck to go through all that work and then discover that there are no neighboring goblin civilizations.

I've had that happen in my current fort. Makes for a VERY peaceful fort life.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:44:42 am »

I usually make sure I have
Goblin-----------WAR
before I embark, if it takes more then one world gen
then I embark on a goblin fortress so I can have an awesome first siege.
unfortunately, the ambushes don't turn them against me, so their numbers are greatly stubbed by the siege :(
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

delphey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:49:09 pm »

Well I had 3 ambushes before making the walls so I know goblins exist.  What I didn't know is that sieges make all other humans/elves/dwarves hostile?  Really?