Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military training levels, a comment  (Read 373 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military training levels, a comment
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:39:11 pm »

It seems to me the biggest non-bug problem is even if you herd up all your dwarves and give them good gear, they still get slaughtered if they are under "adequate" in military skills, at which point they have almost a chance.  "Talented" seems to give them a chance.  Which of course is difficult with buggy training and extra deadly goblins.

Has this been anyone else's experience?

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military training levels, a comment
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:13:26 pm »

I never really got problem even with novice swordsdwarves. I've had novice-everything-that-matters single-handedly kill several goblins with so much as a bruise (well, a few bruises). That is, of course, if I manage to get the damn dwarves to grab their weapons and not run to battle with nothing but a leather backpack. However, since fights tend to last longer now, a single dwarf being attacked by multiple foes stand little chance unless heavily armored and skilled.

Considering how dodging is much more important now, I wouldn't be surprised if heavy armor actually hindered more than helped unskilled dwarves. I usually don't start producing armor until 2nd or even 3rd year, so my dwarves are already trained somewhat.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:59:28 pm »

The most important thing seems to be armor...
equip your dwarves with bronze or steel armor,
check that they really wear it and then watch the carnage ;)

Tsuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:12:49 pm »

Getting bronze isn't easy tho, you will need tin which you can only get from Cassiterite ore which is only found in
Granite layers which is mostly found very deeply underground around the lava   >:(

Or maybe i just embarked on a bad spot for bronze, i did get tons of iron tho in the new version iron is pretty useless no?
Because iron won't pierce iron easily.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:14:25 pm by Tsuko »

Tsuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:15:44 pm »

Got tons and tons of gold and shiet also fortress over 1,3million wealth.. and i got like 100 goblins in cages but i can't get my dwarves to put their clothes off (or on) for my military which is mighty annoying  >:(