Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smelter Reaction?  (Read 760 times)

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smelter Reaction?
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:26:40 am »

First things first: If I add a new reaction will I need to gen a new world for it to take effect?

Now the main question: Can I add a reaction to say, a smelter, to make a turtle shell or any other shell from a stone? One of my dwarves needs shells for a mood, which I would like to happen, considering he grabbed raw adamantine as the first ingredient, and could also potentially grab addy wafers and addy cloth. D:

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Smelter Reaction?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:47:59 am »

Adding new reaction requires you to add that reaction to the entity file, and regenerate your world.

To solve your problem here you should just edit an existing reaction (in the saves raws). Remove the reagent, and replace the product with a turtle shell.

That or you could make an emergency turtle fishing crew. Turtles spawn just about anywhere.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:16:11 pm »

Ok, so I guess I'll replace BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE for now. I can change it back later right?

I'm new to modding: Would this work for changing 1 gabbro stone to 1 turtle shell?
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make shells from gabbro]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:GABBRO]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SHELL:NO_SUBTYPE:TURTLE:TURTLE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:19:41 pm by Boingboingsplat »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:01:57 pm »

You could go a step further and make a vermin reaction to produce turtles, which you could possibly catch and then do whatever with to get a turtle shell. I believe when a fresh turtle is prepared now, you get a turtle shell, I could be wrong though.

(as said in my modding guide on page two in the forum at the moment...) You have to make a custom reaction (which reaction file, doesn't really matter, but the smelter is easier for most people for some reason. You also need to add an entity listing for adding new reactions. Yes, to add a new reaction you have to regen a world. However editing a reaction does not require regen.

Side note... I'm not 100 percent on the shell reaction at the moment... just woke up... but there's got to be at least a dozen or so threads for the 2010 version on shells...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:08:22 pm »

I tried the shell reaction but it didn't work, unfortunately. My furnace operator took the gabbro to the smelter, and then he used it up, but alas, nothing was produced at all.

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:13:13 pm »

Haven't seen 40d or DF2010 mentioned but..

In DF2010, you only need to regen the world if you add new creatures or try to remove some.

You can add/change reactions with no problems (as long as they're correct). See the top thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=29157.60

edit: To solve your problem easier, go into DF/data/save/region1(or whatever yours is)/raw/objects and open up material_template_default. Hit CTRL+F and search for [HORN], add [SHELL] directly underneath. CTRL+F for [HOOF] and add [SHELL] underneath that.

Now hooves/horns qualify as shells, all you need to do is butcher a bull/deer/whatever has hooves or a horn. :P You can also mod certain animals to produce shells on death (there's a few threads about shells if you look back 1 or 2 pages)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:16:09 pm by DracoGriffin »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:38:18 pm »

You can add/change reactions with no problems
Mind if you tell HOW?
Every time I add a new reaction to my save, it's not in the workshop. I have to regenerate to make it to appear.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 03:01:31 pm »

If you notice with that link you sent...

firstpost
As creatures are created at worldgen, adding new ones to an existing world won't affect anything because they don't exist there.

secondpost
It's the same with reactions.

If you add new ones to an existing world, won't affect anything, because they DON'T exist there... What this is saying is, suuure go ahead and add it, you won't get anywhere with it though as it won't show up in your shop... try it and prove me wrong? I've been doing tons of work with reactions and I've yet have been able to add a reaction without regen.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 03:13:00 pm »