Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing with water?  (Read 896 times)

T600

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing with water?
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:55:53 pm »

So, what are some fun and useful things to do with water? In all the forts I have created I have yet to make a screw pump or anything.. I want to utilize all that fun mechanical stuff because I feel like I am missing out because I only build flood gates and attach levers to them.. I want to play with other mechanical fun stuff. Like I want to make a drowning chamber, and create drainage and all that other fun stuff.

So any ideas on basic fun things you can do with water?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with water?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:06:13 pm »

• Drown elves.
  • Make a obsidian farm
  • Make a waterfall in the middle of your dining room to make happy thought mist for you dwarves, there absolutely no danger of the waterfall flooding your fortress, none at all. <.< >.>
  • Make a elaborate fountain that shoots water hundreds of urists into the sky!
  • Drown more elves
  • Set up a elaborate doomsday device to flood your fort, intentionally this time I mean.
  • Utilize fluid logic or whatever it is called these days to make a computer that can calculate and tell the time and all sorts of neat and nifty stuff, oh wait you already have one or how are you playing dwarf fortress and posting on the internet? ...moving on.
  • Drown all of elfdom in the purifying flameswaves!
  • Upgrade to magma cos it's way cooler.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:08:21 pm »

Drowning trap
water fall
dwarf washing
if you have an underground river or pool, tower cap farming.
venice like canals
moat
obsidian making (really, you need more rocks?!?)
Your own private fishery
a series of water-7 pressure plates hooked to flood gates can be used to make a time delay device.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:08:30 pm »

My last fortress used water for several things (the water came from a brook.)

-First and foremost was a moat. (The overall fortress design was an above-ground castle whose center held a staircase going straight down into the earth for about 15 z-levels). They're really easy to do so long as you do them on the surface.

-Second, a "flush" system for my trade depot. This one is a little bit more complicated and involved plumbing, plus a floor hatch, plus four floodgates and three sets of vertical bars. Essentially, the elven traders enter the depot and start setting up, at which time the three floodgates at the entrance to the room shut and the fourth gate which opens up to the moat also shuts. The floor hatch in the ceiling opens up and water pours in from above until everything is dead...then the fourth gate opens again and the bars keep items from draining out while the water empties into the moat.

-Third, plumbing so my arena could be converted on-the-fly into a stadium/drowning chamber. (similar concept to 2)

-Fourth, artificial waterfalls in statue gardens and/or dining halls. If done incorrectly this can go so horribly wrong that you won't have to worry about dwarves needing happy thoughts...ever. But if done correctly, this alone can deflect whatever impending tantrum spirals that a really nice dining hall can't.

...and yeah, Spoon pretty much beat me to most of the stuff.
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 02:09:28 pm »

Step 1, Read up on assume you know how water pressure and flow work, make traps involving pressurized water.
Step 2, Goblins! Nobles! Elves! Friends!
Step 3, Activate the traps.
Step 4, Watch the chaos. Wonder how you managed to set the surface of the world on fire with water.
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 02:21:39 pm »

By adding alcohol of course! Everything is better with alcohol...and magma.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 02:52:02 pm »

For a time I had an obsession with trying to teach my dwarves to swim, using a swimming pool. Now in DF2010 I may consider some sort of shower room using a burrow so that I can order all my messy dwarves to get a little cleaned up when I feel it's needed. Cleanliness prevents infections afterall.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 03:42:57 pm »

Water slide into a 50+ z-level drop

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 04:07:49 pm »

Moat Dome (two large domes with water in between. This was a heck of a lot of fun to make, then waiting 2 years for it to finish filling from a brook. Make sure you build in floodgates at ground level so you can release enough pressurized water to flood the map with the flip of a lever, then watch your frame rate drop to around 1 (per minute).

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 04:42:15 pm »

utilize water pressure every way you can, it's a really neat feature and it makes you feel real smart when you do it.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:49:10 pm »

hook it up to a flaming
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and make a steampunk fort.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.