Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Seriously Epic Caverns  (Read 1099 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Some Seriously Epic Caverns
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:06:01 am »

Recently I did my first Glacier Embark.  Not for any distinct challenge but just because the site looked damned interesting on the map, I hope to get pics latter, but on the embark map it should a huge block of **** right next to 0000 elevation.

Shoot, an elevation difference of that magnitude? I just had to see it!

Embarking on the ice, I found form the bottom level, a 52 Z-level mountain that went almost straight up, Was friggen amazing sight to se.  All rock, covered in snow. Having seen It, I was prepared to abandon it and just pack it in.. And then I thought... "I wonder what the caverns are like?  No water, no trees, no land to farm.   Only way of any sort of survival would be to burrow straight down to the underground caverns.  30 z-levels down i found them.

I had the good fortune to dig down into a nice large flat space that I dug out, set up some plump helmet farms for food, moved all my goods down and started to explore.
And explore,
And explore
And explore...

10 z-levels below were I frst came in on, I got a new message "You have discovered a great sinking passage way!" evidently there was a tiny little cave that went down another 10 z-levels and connected to a whole new Cave system.  The lower system had water and I decided to be making a walled off safe route to lead from the upper site to the lower one. 

So far this site is MASSIVE! its not like the normal gened places that are kind of blockish squiggy areas chocked with cave passages 1 tile wide.  This a is huge proper mega cave.  Starting to explore I found an Ant colony directly next to my first place which I have mostly walled off.  However one of my woodcutters got caught in cave spider wbbing and was unable to run from the ants.  First one, then two, then four ganged up on the hapless Dwarf.  they wailed and hacked at the poor bastard and I just waited for him to die and gfet on with things. 

For whatever reason, perhaps it was being so deep in the Earth, perhaps there was some influence form the Un-killable beasts bellow, but the woodcutter would not die,  Every part of him was red and bloos was everywhere and then I get "Urist McWoodcutter enters a marital trance"

Next thing I know he is in my hastily construct sleepy area resting away. He still is alive.  Poor sod has his whole body "Red" except his brain... If he ever gets up again it will be Epic/

Of course the "Fun" didn't end there.  Some time later I get a "Urist McMinner cancels dig: interrupted by Giant Cave Spider"
Well BUGGER.

At that point I decided to "cheat" I set "SPEED:1" in the raw and basically made my Dwarfs meg fast.  I figured if they all ran away the Spider would give up and go away, and I could wall it up.  I watched my Dwarfs leave the spider in their dust and felt satisfied the danger was over.  Some time later I get the message "Dog has bled to Death!"  After a quick WTF!?  I goto  back to the Wago where the animals were milling around.

BAM! Giant Cave Spider!

Somehow, SOMEHOW it had 'snuck' through the caves, through my main fort area, Up the central stair shaft and out onto the frozen wastes... All to attack a puppy.
Thats a seriously hard core GCS!

As of now my dwarfs are locked up.. The GCS is currently in the mountains overlooking the cave and any traders or migrants that come are probably doomed.

Thus ends the first year at "ColdPain" Ice Fortress!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some Seriously Epic Caverns
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:26:02 am »

*Grins*
Glacial maps are always awesome- I think they're one of the few things that actually got worse in the new version. There was something very fun about trying to keep a fortress alive, fed and boozed in a giant ice cube long enough to build a megaproject scale magma melting chamber.

The all red dwarf is interesting. Better get him an epic name fast, though, I have doubts about his survival.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:45:37 am »

THE WORLD, I MUST HAVE IT!
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:10:16 am »

Yea, world gen info and embark location would be nice :P

Sounds quite epic.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:51:12 am »

I need to experiment more, but if you bump up minimum cavern openness to 80-90 and maximum passage density down to 50 in worldgen, you'll get more huge caves that are open and less "twisty little passages, all alike".
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:29:45 am »

If your epic woodcutter dwarf is alive with all-red wounds, then chances are he'll die of infection rather than anything else.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:36:35 am »

I WANT YOUR SEED INSIDE OF ME

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 05:39:32 am »

Embarking on the ice, I found form the bottom level, a 52 Z-level mountain that went almost straight up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjHuhb8Ngkc

But yes, we demand the seed.