Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More interactions with forgotten beasts/titans!  (Read 1438 times)

Explodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More interactions with forgotten beasts/titans!
« on: May 01, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »

I love the new monsters. Half of my game is now devoted to waiting for them to show up and then dealing with the random problems they cause. Like the invincible glass humanoid that I turned into a deadly rolling torso and eventually had to bury alive, or the porcupine with deadly blood who caused a necrotic infection that killed off all my cats and dogs and made every single child's feet rot off.

But! Every now and again one of the other civs gets to have this great procedurally generated monster as their leader or diplomat or god or what have you, so how come when ancient beings find my fortress they all just want to kill everyone? Are my dwarves not good enough for their stupid death cults?

I think it would be awesome if we could assign one of our dwarves as a diplomat as well, then when the forgotten beasts come to town he could be send out to parlay with it. A variety of options based on the intelligence and personality of the monster would be awesome. Like maybe..

a)Dumb. Diplomat can try to calm it down and convince it to leave the map or, well, the beast can eat him and continue on as standard

b)Greedy, the beast makes some outrageous demands and the fortress has to pay him to leave or he attacks

c)Egotistical. The beast says he wants to be worshipped as a god, so he gets added to the nobles list and starts making constant demands for treasure, expansions to his temple, and maybe blood sacrifices of animals and children. He could also be added to the justice system such that the new penalty for disobeying demands is to be consumed by the new monster god. And then on the plus side the next time a forgotten beast comes to town the fortress's current beast would go out and do battle with it! Which is more than the King does, at any rate.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More interactions with forgotten beasts/titans!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 03:34:29 pm »

I really like the idea.

Hmm wasn't there something about friendly Titans/Beasts created in friendly biomes?
Maybe that type could visit you with friendly intentions.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 03:35:11 pm »

It wouldn't surprise me to have some people accept lovecraftian abominations into their fortress because well, they also have their advantages. Goblins? Pull the lever and have them killed by Cthulhu the abomination. Blood sacrifice complete. Other forgotten beasts? Have them duke it out in a Free For All match. Nobles? Feed them to Cthulhu the abomination to prove that no one except Cthulhu the forgotten beast makes demands.

The idea of interacting with pseudo-gods, greedy megabeasts (dragons?) and forgotten beasts or even just plain stupid, instinct-driven creatures sounds really nice cool bloody awesome! But as long as constructions are invulnerable to everything except (d)esignate->Remove constructio(n)s, locking them out is easier than erecting a huge temple as fast as possible or giving away the last drops of booze left.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:44:07 pm »

That's an awesome idea!
It could say in the description. For example
"Beware his poisonous sting. He is on a mad rampage!"
Or
"Beware his deadly spittle. He has some demands."

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:10:06 pm »

Maybe even a peaceful one that would like a place to call home.(Rare)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 12:10:46 am »

It wouldn't surprise me to have some people accept lovecraftian abominations into their fortress because well, they also have their advantages. Goblins? Pull the lever and have them killed by Cthulhu the abomination. Blood sacrifice complete. Other forgotten beasts? Have them duke it out in a Free For All match. Nobles? Feed them to Cthulhu the abomination to prove that no one except Cthulhu the forgotten beast makes demands.

The idea of interacting with pseudo-gods, greedy megabeasts (dragons?) and forgotten beasts or even just plain stupid, instinct-driven creatures sounds really nice cool bloody awesome! But as long as constructions are invulnerable to everything except (d)esignate->Remove constructio(n)s, locking them out is easier than erecting a huge temple as fast as possible or giving away the last drops of booze left.

You make this sound like a Godzilla sequel.

I could be okay with that.

In fact, Mothra, Gozilla, Gamera and King Gidorah would all fit in just fine with the forgotten beasts. Particularly with Godzilla's weird hero/villian, savior/destroyer dichotomy that he built up over the series. Appease the awakened titan, and he will reward you by protecting his turf from other, harder to appease beasties.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.