Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting Challenges  (Read 460 times)

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting Challenges
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:07:57 am »

So, I'm starting in a challenging location trying out a challenging early construction project.

My project?  Building the entrance to my main fort in the middle of a large river (22 tiles wide).  This involves stopping the flow and creating floodgates so I can work on the construction whenever I want.  Until I get my main entrance dug out, the only digging I'm doing is for a communal sleeping area, food storage, and quarrying for rock to help build the necessary constructions.

The challenging location?  I ended up in a rainy biome that's hot enough to melt dwarves.  So far I lost a migrant fish cleaner, two dogs and a donkey.  Makes me glad I dug what I did.

I'm just wondering if anyone else tries to do hard starts, to where your starting seven are at risk, or you might not actually breach the ground for nearly a year before you get everything up and running?
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Challenges
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:41 am »

Freezing biomes where you need to pump magma around to have any water in liquid form are quite tricky - I had at least two dwarves die of thirst because they were injured and there was no water to bring them.

Setting up in a river is something I need to try, though. Would be an awesome way to wipe out a siege - pull a lever to unleash the flood.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:24:14 am »

Indeed, dig the river a bit deeper and create a giant glass room to put a trade depot in.  Let the elves gawk in amazement at the fish swimming all around them, at the beauty of nature, and then pull a lever and open the floodgates, letting them join the fish.  ;D
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:22:25 am »

My last fort in 40d had something like this.  I put the trade depot in a pit in a river intersection, with a raising bridge on one side to let in the water/seal off the access to the fort.  I didn't do it as the first job, fortunately, because I had to pump magma from the opposite corner of the map to deal with the 2z aquifer under the river.  Glass walls are a pretty neat idea, I didn't think of that.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 04:10:03 am »

I've always dreamed of setting up a fortress inside a massive set of glass domes, then mining the entire rest of the map away and flooding it all.