Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just embarked in the midst of a human/dwarven town... (3 questions)  (Read 1187 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. I am proceeding to rob them blind. If I take all their stuff and deconstruct all their buildings will they be mad? And will they stick around? I remember in 40d they wouldn't care and would act as free guards, but I want to be sure. EDIT:: Will they take my stuff?

2. Humans AND dwarves? The leader is a human, but the guy that hangs around in the town hall with him is a Legendary Hammerdwarf with quite a history, and about half the population is dwarves. I know you can get odd diplomats/leaders (Had a fun monster as the leader/diplomat of some humans) but mixed towns?  Is this normal or a bug?

3. Should these dwarves be sacrificed to Armok for associating with humans? Or should they be kept alive, because there's 30 of them, and they're all competent weapon users, and I wouldn't need a military (My population cap is 20)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:59:18 pm by C4lv1n »
I've played a guitar with my penis.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just embarked in the midst of a human/dwarven town... (3 questions)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:02:08 pm »

1. They won't be mad until the first goblin siege. Kill them all. This is also the answer to #3 - kill them all, they'll doom you after the first goblins.
2. The city seems to be conquered by dorfs at worldgen, and somehow a human got in power there. Talk about integration.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:05:38 pm »

Hi!

Answering question 2:
It has been quite a while since I checked things out in adventure mode (I don't embark in potentially problematic places, like on top of settlements), but I do remember mixed human-elf settlements. As far as I can tell, this is the result of conquests.

You see, during world gen, you can see how settlements are actually conquered back and forth (elven forest retreats are particularly susceptible to it as both humans and dwarves can live there). I believe (unconfirmed) that not all civilians get killed in some of these conquests, which would then explain how you get mixed cultures with such "new" citizens then travelling through their new civ.

Mind you, these are just my guesses based on circumstantial evidence, so it can be incorrect.

Deathworks

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:13:38 pm »

If no sieges happen will I be ok?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:14:42 pm »

I think that you should be safe. Might happen after the ambush too. Dunno, sincerely, but I know that it's related to invaders.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:16:16 pm »

Why will they attack me? Or is it a bug?

EDIT:: Can I capture them with cage traps? And will it make them mad if I do?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:17:32 pm »

Why will they attack me? Or is it a bug?

EDIT:: Can I capture them with cage traps? And will it make them mad if I do?
It will make them starve if you leave them in there. Humanoids starve in cages.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 03:19:42 pm »

unless you're at war with the civ that the town belongs to, they'll never attack you. not even if a seige come. they do have a depressing tendency to die during sieges though
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:38:05 pm »

unless you're at war with the civ that the town belongs to, they'll never attack you. not even if a seige come. they do have a depressing tendency to die during sieges though

On the plus side, they'll also attack invaders, thus basically being guilt-free defense meatbags.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:28:32 pm »

I've been messing around with town embarks quite a bit. You're free to take whatever you want. If it's a dwarf conquered town, the armor at the armor store should be normal instead of large.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 02:22:20 am »

There's a program out in the mod community that would let you take control of 'em, but, otherwise, this is pretty much the ideal town embark due to the whole dwarf-ruled town having dwarf-sized armor in the shops to loot.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 02:38:36 am »

also in 40d embarking on a town broke the shops and possibly the quest givers.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 03:08:07 am »

Now that certain features are no longer limited to mountain embarks, human towns are my favorite embark spot.  Tons of free wood that can be quickly reused as a defensive wall, free loot, free defense/ambush spotters (some of them are not bad warriors actually and can even beat back a small ambush), quite often a temple with water in it (fresh water, if you happen to be on a saltwater map it's a lifesaver), free food, free beds, free (cheap) tables and chairs, you still get the human caravan even if they supposedly come from the same town..

It's kind of exploity in a way, and I think possibly humans should be mad by default if you embark on their town.  Or at least they should turn hostile when you start raiding their barrels and shops, and dismantling their tavern.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.