Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population Cap  (Read 664 times)

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population Cap
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:32:22 am »

Does it even work? I mean, in a fortress of more than 100 dwarves and a cap set to exactly 100 I was still getting some migrants, but I figured it was some weird "children are not people" thing. Now I wanted to create a fortress using only my initial 7 dwarves (and later on their children, if possible) so I've set the cap to 5. It didn't stop the migrant waves from arriving TWICE already, and I'm still in the first year.

If the cap is broken, how do I disable immigration? Or are bridge compressors really the only way?

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population Cap
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:33:38 am »

You'll always get migrants the first year it seems.

After that, the cap sets in.  My forts always get 2 waves of migrants,  and then it's over.

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:37:53 am »

Really? That's good. I have another question then - how do I stop immigration while still allowing my dwarves to have children? Or does the population cap only stop the migrant waves, while the number of children is regulated only by that separate cap?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:46:28 am »

Really? That's good. I have another question then - how do I stop immigration while still allowing my dwarves to have children? Or does the population cap only stop the migrant waves, while the number of children is regulated only by that separate cap?
Population cap only controls immigrants.  Child cap is a separate limit.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:48:34 am »

Population cap only controls immigrants.  Child cap is a separate limit.

Exactly.  you might want to make sure you have breeding couples before killing those first waves of migrants off.

I tend to seal the fort up while the migrants come and let in only those I know I want.  the rest starve to death, and then kobolds get to steal their socks and such, that way I get more thieves.