Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to create a world with fewer Z levels? [Spoilers]  (Read 443 times)

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As this naturally deals with digging down deep, you may want to skip this if you haven't hit the HFS below the Spoiler.

I like more than 15 zlevels, a lot, but I'm unhappy with how long it takes for dwarves to go up and down between cavern levels, especially when the 3rd cavern layer is situated practically right on top of the 150 depth magma sea. 

Don't get me wrong, I love engineering massive pump stacks of awesome, but 150 layers of it just to bring my beloved magma to depth 30 (something I have yet to accomplish in this version!) is quite a bit of work! 

I suppose, in the end, that I could use AHK scripts to make this process somewhat easier, but I'm still curious as to what worldgen options affect how many zlevels there are to the magma sea!

Thanks!

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to create a world with fewer Z levels? [Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:06:02 pm »

You can set world generation parameters that limit the total number of 'layers', with each 'layer' being a whole cavern and all it's Z-levels.

So if you're less interested in caverns than the magma sea and Fun, just set that to one layer instead of the default three. I do believe it makes that first (and only) cavern more Fun than the first cavern would otherwise be.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to create a world with fewer Z levels? [Spoilers]
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:41:18 pm »

There are options relating to "number of z levels above layer <something>", you can adjust these numbers to configure the depth of your maps.

Using the standard large world parameters, I usually got maps only about 40 levels deep in flatlands. Modified the above parameters, have about 200 layers now!