Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Increasing framerates.... through money!  (Read 3151 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing framerates.... through money!
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 04:06:53 pm »

That's odd, since generally having -really- wide hallways, I always thought, was bad due to the increased pathfinding in those halls.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 02:41:23 am »

That's odd, since generally having -really- wide hallways, I always thought, was bad due to the increased pathfinding in those halls.

Should do, but might depend on the weighting of an occupied square, if it's high enough to force a lot of backtracking along different paths it would increase the search space significantly. (This is all a guess, I have no facts that I've investigated into this)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 12:37:16 pm »

If you designate areas for high and low traffic, I am told that wide hallways soon become a godsend.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 12:51:10 pm »

You don't want super narrow hallways, either. You'll end up with twenty dwarves crossing the same square. This is bad.

Also, RE hardware:
More than one core is good. A real (i.e. not integrated) video card is good. A real video card has its own processor and ram - the operations aren't done on your main CPU. Even though Dwarf Fortress may not benefit directly from a video card, everything else does. Everything else benefits - DF gets more execution time.

Note: my comments on integrated video cards are a few years old. The situation may have (but likely hasn't) changed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]