Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Worldgen survival  (Read 1653 times)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen survival
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 01:47:27 pm »

@Deon
Really? I noticed it happens just before the town goes desert, and in an instant (1 worldgen year). Makes it feel like if something exploded in the world map.

@Zangi
Yes, they seem to be conquered/destroyed by either megabeasts (from all the samples I just made, ettins) or humans.
Ironically despite their abuse of trees, elves seem to ignore them and even share regions, not my intention at all.
I didn't modify any existing entity or creature from vanilla, but with the mod on, EVEN HUMANS fail to survive at times, leaving huge areas as "towns" (not human towns). Only dwarves and whatever lives in a dark fortress seem to survive in a regular basis, or huge human civs with multiple towns. Several worlds without remaining elves have been seen.
For the record I am generating "small region" worlds with the default settings to test (because of gen speed). Pocket and small worlds end worldgen so early that they are still there, though.

@darkflagrance
It IS a possibility, but if I do it like that, the exact opposite might happen. Just having one playable group of them in civ mode, consistently, is good enough. At the time it's 30, three times more breeding couples (?) than humans. I will try it now for the lulz and see what happens though.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 01:47:52 pm »

Do they use metals? This could be an issue.

For the record I am generating "small region" worlds with the default settings to test
Ahem. You should've told it at first.

Those settings produce enormous amount of megabeasts and titans (even worse).

If you generate Standard or better Large worlds, civs survive much longer.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 01:54:17 pm »

Although I would like to disable it so they rely more on wood and trade, they do have the [METAL_PREF] token. I have added and removed the [STONE_PREF] token for testing several times.
I will try standard or large, but they take a bit too much time for swift testing... (running on WINE until the merge)
EDIT: On medium maps, it seems more common for them to reach year 300. Last messages on legends (when inspecting sites) is "the harpy X was struck down by the BC/Ettin Y". Large maps need one minute for year and eat my RAM, so I can't do extensive testing with them...agh.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:03:34 pm by DalGren »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 03:23:39 pm »

Large maps need one minute for year
Wow... It takes 3-5 seconds for a year for me on Large, and my PC is quite old. It looks like it works really slow though Wine.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »

You can also try to increase the BIOME_SUPPORT number(s) a bit more, by 1 or 2, making them expand more "aggressively." I just tried that in another mod of mine where I had that problem, and while the editing had other effects on the old world with the same seeds, moblin population is up by 1840 people, from 7.

But yeah, also try to give them a few more biomes to live in.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 03:44:06 pm »

Have you tweaked [MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER] to something larger?

That is all I had to do to increase survivability for elves and kobolds when genning small/smaller/pocket regions. I assume the greater numbers at a given site make it more likely to survive attacks from other races and/or megabeasts.

After tweaking this and expanding the biomes for Elves I found I had to tweak it back a bit because the elves were not only surviving, they were displacing the humans.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 04:18:26 am »

Tried with
Code: [Select]
[START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST][BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:7]

[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:250][START_GROUP_NUMBER:30][MAX_POP_NUMBER:10000][MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:200]
Doesn't prevent megabeasts from "razing a hovel" in every single harpian town. Should I go even further in numbers? They never consistently survive past year 300 in medium regions and 150 in small ones...with their lifespan I can only guess they are getting slaughtered hard.
EDIT: OK I am reading through individual historical figures, and every single harpy in every world I generated is getting slaughtered by ETTINS. I consider them the natural enemy of harpies now.
EDIT2: I am going to try modding a pretty powerful weapon to them, hopefully with pirate-ship-like-cannons they can stand a chance.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:30:59 am by DalGren »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 04:36:50 am »

hopefully with pirate-ship-like-cannons they can stand a chance.
Why did that remind me of Serious Sam?

Harpies, pirate-ship-like-cannons...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 04:40:38 am »

I am going to give them javelin launchers (aka shoulder-held heavy crossbows) and if I can manage one-shot cannons, that can do. After all it makes sense they'd spend time reasearching ranged weapons to defend themselves from evil ettins.
I'll limit the sizes so only the larger breeds (hawk, raven and birdmen) can wield them, that should balance it in-game.
EDIT: AAAAAAARGH not even with hax weapons! Although they can destroy an ettin in the arena with them, in worldgen the situation doesn't change. I never expected this ettin plague to be this hard to get rid of!
So far the civ is only playable in "smaller" or "pocket" worlds because they stop generating before ettins strike. Now I am 100% sure on ettins being the natural predator of harpies.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:28:32 am by DalGren »
Pages: 1 [2]