Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow megabeasts to flee the map if losing the battle  (Read 548 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Allow megabeasts to flee the map if losing the battle
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:05:30 am »

A giant attacked my fortress and my soldies got a good beating on him. The AI is ok up to this time, because the giant tries to flee when he see he is gonna lose. But he can't left the map! My dwarves, who are a lot slower, try to catch him but he keeps running. He should be allowed to left the map, to plot his revenge or to tell his friends a dwarf fortress isn't a forest retreat.

Goblins already do this, megabeasts should too. It is more believable.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:14:10 pm by thvaz »

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Allow megabeasts to flee the map if losing the battle
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:36:30 am »

!!! This is a great idea!  Add it to the Eternal Suggestion voting post haste.

How great would it be if stories like this were added to the legends screen?

"Urvast the Channeling of Pain fled the Dwarven Fortress Udalag in 1056, swearing revenge"

"Urvast the Channeling of Pain led an army of kobolds, decimating the Fortress Udalag in 1060, in revenge of his humiliating defeat of 1056"

Oh man, this sounds fantastic.  Great idea!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 02:41:06 pm »

I agree!  Fantastic idea!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:17:05 pm »

It is just a minor AI tweak, though. The part about revenge would spend more time to be done. I was just annoyed by the fact the Giant coudln't leave the map yet my dwarves couldn't catch them. I had to put some dwarves in other stations to stop him, but we shouldn't have to do these micromanagements. It just makes more sense that if he is trying to flee, the game should let him do so.

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:41:06 pm »

I was just running with the imagery.  I'm perfectly fine with the ability for megabeasts to flee without all the additional pomp (although that would be nice too haha)