Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to toggle multigrasp?  (Read 2737 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to toggle multigrasp?
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:57:56 pm »

I've noticed that sometimes an axedwarf without a shield will wield the axe with both hands, indicated by "multigrasp."  Other times, they'll have one hand empty and the other wielding the axe.  Does this actually have a combat effect?  And if so, how do I toggle it?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to toggle multigrasp?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:43:57 pm »

As indicated in the "Weapon research"-thread multigrasp has a combat enchancing effect, especially at low skill levels.
So basically multigrasping dwarfes at dabbling skill levels have a higher chance of survival than a dabbling weapon+shield user, as he will hit considerably harder.
But as the skills increase multigrasp starts to suffer in comparison with the shield/weapon-combo.

I'm not sure if you can toggle it.
Try picking up weapons while you have no shield. That seems to be the most obvious.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:49:42 pm »

You have to lodge it in something, for example, the nearby elf's skull, and then grab the axe with the second axe using wrestling. Then you are free to take out the axe and do anything you want to the elf. At least that was the case in .01.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:44:22 pm »

But with the new military interface in fortress mode, is anything vis a vis multigrasp different from 40d?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:03:04 pm »

So basically multigrasping dwarfes at dabbling skill levels have a higher chance of survival than a dabbling weapon+shield user, as he will hit considerably harder.
Thing is, hitting hard doesn't make you better at surviving... it makes you better at killing things. A shield on the other hand provides a chance to completely block incoming damage (including dragonfire!) which will probably make a dwarf a much better survivor.

Well in the end, I guess it depends on what you're facing... if your dwarf is in full armor, that cave crocodile is not gonna do much to him either way.