Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mini-Mountain Madness!  (Read 1811 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mini-Mountain Madness!
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:23:58 am »

So right now I got this awesome map.  No, not because it has all of the metals I need plus a super-waterfall and adamantium exposed on the surface... Rather, it consists of a 3x3 area that looks like this:

Code: [Select]
.A.
^~^

The "A" is a single, discrete mountain, like 50  Z levels high, that forms an almost perfect cone:  the bottom (level with the ground) is a nice rounded square shape, exactly one area-map tile in size, and it gradually narrows towards the top until there are literally only one or two tiles at the highest z-level of the mountain. 

The bottom row of the area map is a horizontal line of almost shear cliff (as shear as they get since Toady basically turned off shear cliffs), with a volcano caldera where the "~" is.  This line of cliffs is separated from the A mountain by a narrow strip of flat ground 2 tiles in size.

So basically, I have a giant cone, and behind the cone is a source of lava and a giant cliff face full of mine-able goodies.

For some reason, I love having a single, discrete mountain like this.  What kinds of fun things can be done with it?  I am working out the ground level right now, where I plan industry, and was thinking I should build apartments on the levels above this... with the richest apartments getting an entire round floor to themselves with a massive panoramic view of everything for miles around.  But there are SO MANY levels.  I dunno why, I just like the idea of this nicely shaped mountain carved out hollow and occupied by dwarfs, like a primeval high-rise.

Also, not sure how to get that lava to my little mountain without liquid pressure flooding the place and killing everyone.  I'd prefer to do it without using floodgates, because if the floodgate were to be destroyed somehow, my whole fortress would be destroyed.  :)  The caldera also goes up to like 30 or 40 z levels above "ground level", so I am not sure how to channel it safely.

How do other people like to work these kinds of features?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Mountain Madness!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:31:53 am »

The caldera also goes up to like 30 or 40 z levels above "ground level", so I am not sure how to channel it safely.

Breach the top level and use a pump to impart pressure at that level.

And why worry about pressure? You'll wall up all the access areas, right? (except for that one magma-safe hatch in the entryway, linked up to a lever with magma-safe mechanisms)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:33:30 am »

Hollow out a cone then put the apartments in so at the top floor theres a drop all the way down--bonus points for making the hollow cone go even further underground. Put your entire fortress in the hollowed out cone with nice glass railings and have the drop go as deep as possible so the nobles on the top can stair down into the glowing drop laughing as the death screams of the soliders clearing out the caverns echos up.

Mikko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:38:03 am »

Hey. Why haven't you posted a save file yet?

Rockx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:01:29 am »

Hey. Why haven't you posted a save file yet?
Yes agreed! Very awesome find, could you post the seed?

As for channeling safely... give a pick to a peasant from your next migration wave (safe enough, right?)

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:12:12 am »

Also, not sure how to get that lava to my little mountain without liquid pressure flooding the place and killing everyone.  I'd prefer to do it without using floodgates, because if the floodgate were to be destroyed somehow, my whole fortress would be destroyed.  :)  The caldera also goes up to like 30 or 40 z levels above "ground level", so I am not sure how to channel it safely.
Magma doesn't naturally pressurise, so what I'd do is build a little aquamagmaduct between the two mountains leading into your fortress, one floor below where you want your main industry. I'd also leave space in the centre of your mountain for utilities, for a central shaft transporting magma, water and power to where you need it.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:18:41 am »

OK guys, I posted this save game to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot.  It is not 100% pristine though, sadly I did dig on it a little bit; there is a 1x1 staircase column running from the top of the mountain to the ground floor.  Also, the dwarves carved out some 3x3 hallways on the ground floor, and the beginnings of a gate to the north, where the trade depot will go eventually (maybe I should force them to go all the way to the top of the mountain? :) ).  The team I have is the "play now!" starting seven, with the gem cutter recruited to be a miner.  There are rudimentary stockpiles at the north entrance, and the food is being stowed on the inside at the end of a corridor.

I think I may make a central magma shaft (a hollow 5x5 square of stairways, inside that a ring of solid wall, and a 1x1 shaft of empty space; then the Magma can simply be dropped straight down through the top of the cone) running up and down the entire cone, and skip building on every-other Z level so that I can use the space between floors to channel the magma. Er, wait, if I do that, then how will the dwarfs manage to get up and down the mountain from the inside?  Well, I'll think of something.  :)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2249

Let me know if the file isn't working properly.  I play with un-compressed saves, and simply turned the game save folder into a .rar archive.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:26:33 am »

As a side note, I think that if you can find a single "large grey triangle" square on an area map that is surrounded by a low-level tile (sand desert, swamp, plains, etc.) on three sides, you could also get a giant cone feature like this.  However, it may be that my erosion settings and other worldgen factors made it possible as well.  Not sure...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:47:37 am »

No, cone mountains are surprisingly popular at the edges of mountain ranges. They're always a good time, though.

Rockx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 07:13:02 pm »

Here's the seed and embark image:

Embark Location

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Worldgen Parameters

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:09:57 am by Rockx »

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 07:57:38 pm »

Er, that's the embark location?  I remember seeing that, but I am not sure it's the embark spot I meant to show you guys.  Did I send the right save folder?  Is there a fortress in progress?

*Edit* Er, nevermind, pretty sure that's the right game.  :)

I realized that since the volcano height and the cone height are about the same, someone could easily use that cone mountain as a giant obsidian mold, and create a massive solid obsidian pyramid that could be engraved. :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:06:52 pm by Misterstone »

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 08:09:55 pm »

Idea:  use Reveal or whatever to take screenshots of every layer of the entire mountain.  Train up some legendary miners, then proceed to disassemble the mountain and rebuild it exactly as it was, only upside down.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 09:53:30 pm »

Idea:  use Reveal or whatever to take screenshots of every layer of the entire mountain.  Train up some legendary miners, then proceed to disassemble the mountain and rebuild it exactly as it was, only upside down.

Reroute the magma into a hollow clear glass ball on top of this structure to make a "snow" cone.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 09:55:49 pm »

Dig out the area under the mountain in the shape of a mountain. Stop just before the magma sea.

Pull lever. Have Megamountain. And FUN. (Once the CPU stops melting)

Rockx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 02:43:02 am »

Not sure why, but the worldgen seed I posted above doesn't seem to generate the same local map as the savegame. Although the worldmap is still the same. Currently using version 31.03 on Win7.

EDIT: Sorry, posted the wrong reclaim fortress, it's been corrected now!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:10:42 am by Rockx »