Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can constructed floors over open space collapse?  (Read 3636 times)

Phreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can constructed floors over open space collapse?
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:19:40 am »

I'm building a floor to get to the other side of some open space, with a river running about 6 z-levels down.  Is it possible this will collapse?  Is there something I can do to ensure it won't?  Thanks!

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can constructed floors over open space collapse?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:39:22 am »

Wont' collapse so long as one part of it is touching land.  'It' being the entire set of floors.  If just one floor is attached to a wall/land/whatever then it'll stay up.  Doesn't count for diagonals though. 

Dwarf Fortress: defying physics one tile at a time.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:41:03 am »

They will collapse only if they're unsupported. The other floors, connected to the walls of the canyon, provide support to the ones in the middle. So, unless you actually deconstruct the floors on the edges or channel out the walls and floors there, it won't collapse.

Cave-ins are not particularly realistic. You can have a 10,000 ton fort held up only by a single slender wooden support or floor, leverage and weight considerations be damned. Usually, when you're building constructions, you won't cause cave-ins unless you do it on purpose. Digging is only somewhat more likely to cause cave-ins.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:42:54 am »

Wait... you don't want it to collapse?

There's no such thing as structural integrity   in DF, except for wear & tear on equipment.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Phreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:55:33 am »

Ok cool, thanks for the answers.  I like the place I've embarked and didn't want to build something that might make half my dwarves die in a cave in or something.  My map has a river that flows down 6 z-levels as a waterfall into that much larger chasm you see.  It's quite interesting and I plan on using water diverted from the rivers as water traps to keep the nasties out.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:18:02 am »

Note that if you build a floor or wall next to a grate, the dwarf will build it, then the floor  will promptly collapse, taking the dwarf down with it.
=O
+#+

If you do something like this though:
==O
+#+

it will stay.
short story, grates do not support walls and floors built next to them.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:22:46 am »

Grates also do not support grates. I lost a few good dwarves working on the cistern that I was trying to grate-over.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 12:31:03 pm »

Wait... you don't want it to collapse?

There's no such thing as structural integrity   in DF, except for wear & tear on equipment.
Deconstructing all these floor tiles at once will lead to prematurely dropping dwarves though: they love to stand on floor tiles that are in the process of deconstruction, and so they would join the stone and be flyyyyyyying for a few seconds.

If you want them all to drop at once, you should deconstruct the floor tiles carefully one after each other.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:58:44 pm »

Deconstructing all these floor tiles at once will lead to prematurely dropping dwarves though: they love to stand on floor tiles that are in the process of deconstruction, and so they would join the stone and be flyyyyyyying for a few seconds.

If you want them all to drop at once, you should deconstruct the floor tiles carefully one after each other.
Also, generally speaking, "dwarves do it from the west".

Lytha, your avatar has been staring me these past few days and... I... I can't look away.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 01:43:14 pm »

Also, generally speaking, "dwarves do it from the west".

Lytha, your avatar has been staring me these past few days and... I... I can't look away.
From the west or from the north, or sometimes for random reasons (like: "wow, if I do it from the south this time, I can wall myself in!") from other directions as well.

This ain't a cat skull totem that's staring at ye.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.