Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ability to embark with all normal animals.  (Read 663 times)

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ability to embark with all normal animals.
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:35:44 am »

It'd be nice to do this, although I guess it would make war dogs obsolete.. but sometimes it's hard to get a male and female of the animals you want to breed.  I have 3x female grizzlies...sigh.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to embark with all normal animals.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:47:25 am »

I'm sorry, but could you make it a little more clear what you mean?

On embark you can choose the gender of the animals you embark with, and grizzly bears are not among them.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:57:49 am »

....yes.  I'd like the ability to embark with all normal, read not unicorns, etc, animals, read: wolves, griz, black bears, cougars, lions, etc, much like one would pick a cow. 

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 05:10:49 am »

But that'd take a lot of the challenge away!

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:55:55 am »

Not really a challenge...except in patience waiting for the damn things.  I WANT MY ARMY OF WAR GRIZZLIES! ..*cough*..*ahem* Yea.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:06:17 am »

Easily moddable.  Add [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to the animal of choice in the raws.  If you don't want to "ruin the fun", I suggest not adding it to any animal that doesn't have the [PET] tag (i.e. don't add it to [PET_EXOTIC] animals, since they need a Dungeon Master to train).  Also, if you want War animals of something that doesn't normally allow it, add [TRAINABLE] or [TRAINABLE_WAR] (trainable lets you make war or hunting versions, trainable war restricts them to war training; you can also have TRAINABLE_HUNTING for animals you just want hunting trained).

Note that [COMMON_DOMESTIC] will allow you to purchase them at embark and cause dwarven immigrants to occasionally bring them.  For purchasing them at embark, you will need to regenerate the world.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:16:01 am »

Sweet thanks, I'll try it on next version release.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 08:18:44 am »

Alternatively, you could go into entity_default and give dwarfs the [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] tag, which will allow your dwarfs to tame and use animals just like elves. Of course, this does mean you will have ALL animals your dwarfs have access to, so this includes things like giant eagles, giant desert scorpions, etc.