Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bloodwine!  (Read 697 times)

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bloodwine!
« on: April 27, 2010, 11:50:38 pm »

So after failing to farm several times, due to saltwater, lack of lakes or rivers, and then having my fort dehydrate with 40 barrels of blood in the hold, I've decided to make blood brewable. The issue is, I have no idea how to go about doing this.  It would be relatively easy by copying over the tallow reaction and making the reagent blood, but I'm stuck at how to add a new booze item, as booze doesn't seem to have its own raw file. Ideas?

Unrelated: This makes them either vampires or Klingons. Either way, awesome.

Edit: There's probably enough glucose in a barrel of blood to make at least a weak drink. A very iron-rich drink...

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodwine!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:54:39 pm »

So after failing to farm several times, due to saltwater, lack of lakes or rivers, and then having my fort dehydrate with 40 barrels of blood in the hold, I've decided to make blood brewable. The issue is, I have no idea how to go about doing this.  It would be relatively easy by copying over the tallow reaction and making the reagent blood, but I'm stuck at how to add a new booze item, as booze doesn't seem to have its own raw file. Ideas?

Unrelated: This makes them either vampires or Klingons. Either way, awesome.

Edit: There's probably enough glucose in a barrel of blood to make at least a weak drink. A very iron-rich drink...
Fake plant definition; a plant that doesn't grow anywhere, but can be brewed for alcohol.  Or you can make it non-fake and have it grow in evil areas.  Your choice.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:07:06 am »

You probably will run into problems when trying to use the blood as a reagent in reactions. AFAIK, liquids cannot be used in them yet due to some strangeness with reagents in barrels. The soap making reaction works due to the [CONTAINS_LYE], but there's no way to tell dwarfs to take barrels filled with anything else but lye.

But yeah, IF liquids/containers weren't a bit buggy in reactions, a fake plant definition would be the way to go for brewing purposes. I've made a reaction that converts a certain cheese into liquor (couldn't get the milk to work by itself) and used a dummy plant that doesn't naturally occur anywhere for the purpose of the alcohol.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:09:53 am by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:12:27 am »

curses. hm... could I tie it to buchering, maybe?

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:25:59 am »

Not sure what you mean, but I've seen someone suggest making blood coagulate at a lower tempurature so it's in glob form instead of liquid. You'd have to change blood's melting point and change  [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID] to     [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:GLOB] in every creature's raw... That would let you play with it, though it might have unintended consequences with regards to still living creatures..

But in any case, you might try utilizing it to make cheese... I'm not sure if this would work, as cheesemaking isn't in reaction_other.txt, but you might try adding     [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CHEESE_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:CHEESE] to BLOOD_TEMPLATE in the default material templates. That theoretically would mean you could make cheese from the blood, but it would be identical to cheese made from milk. It would also require the creature from which the blood originated to have a cheese defined in its raw.

EDIT: When you define the cheese in the raw, assuming this whole thing works, you could call it something besides cheese.. That way nobody will get weirded out wondering where all the goblin cheese came from.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:01:12 am by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]