Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Important aquifer breaching question: do soil cave-ins work?  (Read 2464 times)

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Important aquifer breaching question: do soil cave-ins work?
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:45:31 am »

I'm starting a new fortress by the ocean and thus need to breach an aquifer. I haven't had success in the past with the pump and seal method, and there's no ore or magma to use, which leaves the cave-in method. Does the material dropped have to be waterproof rock, or will soil work?

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Important aquifer breaching question: do soil cave-ins work?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 05:02:07 am »

It works just fine, I've punched through a 2-layer aquifer with soil caveins.  That's usually the only type of 'rock' you have above an aquifer anyway.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:06:46 am »

Though there is a bug that turns collapsed layers into the aquifer layer. I've seen it first hand. Screwed up my plans so hard I quit that fort.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:08:25 am »

It worked, I'm through my first aquifer. Not only that, but I've got a ready-made moat for defence and since I had to do it on the beach itself, I get a nice little waterfall generating mist each time a wave comes in.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 12:43:04 pm »

I've had issues with salt water regardless. Doesn't make much sense that the aquifer is salt....  That aside, breaching the aquifer layer is easiest if you just find a mineral deposit and put a shaft through it.  That's one of the reasons I always embark on at least 2 biomes.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:25:17 pm »

I was trying to embark on a forest next to a Good ocean, with a river, so including a third biome with no aquifer seemed to be asking too much...

...or so I thought. I've restarted (due to being stuck between the ocean on one side and an aquifer at least 6 z-levels deep on the other), and this time there is no aquifer at all on the ocean biome.

Roderick Jaynes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 02:20:43 pm »

Ooh, my best experience breaching an aquifer in 2010 was one where I managed to find enough dry soil to get me down to the top level of the cavern, so my dwarves had a perilous wooden gangplank to walk across in order to get into the fort. Unfortunately, a Troll in the cavern kept spooking them and cancelling their jobs, then the game crashed.  >:(

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 02:23:57 pm »

I have a problem semi-related to this and I doubt it deserves it's own thread, so here does:
There's this two-layer aquifer I want to break. I made a 3x3 hole in it, then poured magma (from a pipe, ofc) on it, but upon breaching the central stone, I got water in the same spot again.
Is it some kind of an unconfined aquifer that I fail at breaching or what? Because I guess that pouring enough magma over it should give me a chance at getting past it.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 11:52:20 pm »

There's this two-layer aquifer I want to break. I made a 3x3 hole in it, then poured magma (from a pipe, ofc) on it, but upon breaching the central stone, I got water in the same spot again.
Is it some kind of an unconfined aquifer that I fail at breaching or what? Because I guess that pouring enough magma over it should give me a chance at getting past it.
What you need to do is dig a 5*5 or larger hole in the first layer (using staircases is sufficient), fill it with magma, and then dig out the central 3*3 section of your obsidian plug, and the same 3*3 section from the layer below, then fill the bottom layer with magma to create more obsidian. Then you can dig out the central 1*1 section of that obsidian plug and the layer below, and you're through the aquifer.

If you were going to dig out the 6-layer aquifer I spoke of earlier, you'd end up with the following:

Code: [Select]
Aq#     X     #Aq
 Aq#    X    #Aq
  Aq#   X   #Aq
   Aq#  X  #Aq
    Aq# X #Aq
     Aq#X#Aq
        X