Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Castes Help  (Read 1307 times)

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Castes Help
« on: April 24, 2010, 07:41:11 pm »

I have been inspired by NW_Kohaku's Stonehall Alliance mod. I do not understand the caste system so I am asking for the help of anyone that is willing to help. Of Deon's Genesis mod, I wish to combine all the elves into a single elf civ, under the original elves, and all the humans into a single human civ, under the original humans, like what Deon did with the goblins. I will post the RAW files for them. All help will be appreciated. NOTE:THIS IS DEON'S WORK WITH THE CREATURES, AND THIS IS BASED OFF OF NW_KOHAKU'S IDEA. I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR ANY OF THIS.

Humans
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:46:24 pm by dragon1423 »
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castes Help
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:42:36 pm »

Elves

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:46:33 pm by dragon1423 »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:03:46 pm »

Ah, whats your asking is simple realy!
First you need a single creature. Lets call him [CREATURE:HUMAN_ALL]
Now, under your human_all were going to be cheep and easy and put all four other races, however, they will now be CASTES rather then races. So for example, your first line would look like this

[CREATURE:HUMAN_ALL]
 [CASTE:HUMAN_WEST]
    [DESCRIPTION:BLAH BLAH BLAH]
    [NAME:wesman:wesmans:wesman]
    [CASTE_NAME:wesman:wesmans:wesman]

Hmm, there IS a problem here. You can't have castes within castes, so we have a choice! We can either give up on the dream right now, or we can decide then two of the human races will be ALL male and two will be ALL female.

To save some time, what would you refer before we go on?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:11:36 am »

For my own version of this, I just made male and female versions of most of the castes.

If you want a male and female version of the caste to be pretty much exactly the same, except for gender, the only things you need to do is the following:

[CASTE:FOO_FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]

[CASTE:FOO_MALE]
[MALE]

[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:FOO_FEMALE]

Then you can just go ahead and add in all the additional stuff about your FOO caste, which will apply to both the male and female versions of the caste.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 12:13:58 am »

*Facepalm*

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!
NW, I could kiss you, but I won't.

My race of strange infected humans just got 50% more awesome.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:51:37 am »

the problem with castes is that it will mix up everything pretty much.

for example a south and north couple will give birth to east babies and so on. it just take random caste for the baby.

the only use so far as i found is to make albino castes, as that would make sense to happen once in a while.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 02:56:09 am »

for example a south and north couple will give birth to east babies and so on. it just take random caste for the baby.

the only use so far as i found is to make albino castes, as that would make sense to happen once in a while.

Well as long as your not there to see it, you would never know the difference.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 05:02:07 am »

That's why I haven't made it this way. I can see goblins making weird babies, some with totally furry body, some with long tongues they use to fight, some horned and extra muscled, even some with 4 arms etc., but people are not like that. Oops I think I've leaked something from the upcoming release. Hehe.

P.S. On topic:
1) Make MALE and FEMALE versions of each race as castes.
2) Apply all appearance and color modifiers to each appropriate caste (i.e. [SELECT_CASTE:NORDS_MALE] and [SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:NORDS_FEMALE] and then add modifiers)
3) Apply stats modifiers for each caste, maybe even where you define their names
4) Profit.

You will have nords using katanas and osmans in wooly socks with viking axes though, and they will make random children.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:05:38 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:59:49 am »

Sorry for the lack of replies, I have to stop asking questions right before I go to bed  :P. Thank you everyone for the help,  I shall test this right now.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:59:00 am »

Well that didn't work, Humans didn't spawn at all. I'm just going to try adding all of the humans under one civ, like the animal civs.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 11:14:51 am »

Well that didn't work, Humans didn't spawn at all. I'm just going to try adding all of the humans under one civ, like the animal civs.

that sounds more like you corrupted the raws and made some failure, its not the games fault :x
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:34:45 pm »

Check your errorlog
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 10:53:05 pm »

That won't help you, they will still form there own cities, its just all there cities will look the same.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 01:50:56 pm »

I'll keep messing around with it until I get something that works, I think I know why it doesn't work. The errorlog is clean, by the way. Thanks for the help, I'll ask more questions later as needed.