Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hand to hand combat pains  (Read 604 times)

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
Hand to hand combat pains
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:08:32 pm »

In my desire to create a badass monk adventurer, I took several points of strike/kick/fighter/dodger at creation. Standard enough.

The problem is that the punches only serve to bruise bones and internal organs, and I never seem to pull off a kick. I've read of other players exploits where they have fun biting and kicking their way through dark towers, and I want to join in the fun. Is there something special I would have to do?

If anything, I'm inspired to add a whole load of martial arts moves like the aptly titled 'Martial Arts' mod did several versions back, but that'll probably take a while to do.
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hand to hand combat pains
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 09:35:46 pm »

In the raws for your chosen adventurer race, under the attacks possible, there will be tokens called either "MAIN" or "SECOND". For normal humanoids, the hand attacks are tagged "MAIN", while foot and mouth attacks are tagged "SECOND". When attacking, creatures always perform a "MAIN" attack if possible; if not, they try to choose a "SECOND" type attack.

What you need to do is to make bite and kick attacks "MAIN" priority, or regular hand attacks "SECOND" priority. Note that this will of course mean that enemies of your race will themselves start biting and kicking about as frequently as they punch or swing weapons. I believe the Martial Arts mod came up with a way to trick the system into giving a higher preference to certain attack types, maybe you can look at it for inspiration.