Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stop naming your stupid spear  (Read 5833 times)

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
Re: Stop naming your stupid spear
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 04:15:44 pm »

Yep, she's some sort of inverse mermaid.  Here's what her status page says:

Smenrekonli

A humanoid creature with the head of a blind cave fish.  They live in colonies in watery regions far underground.

She is very fat and enormous overall.  Her skin is white.

Oooh, be still my heart!

Here's the save:
http://rapidshare.com/files/376697758/StopNamingYourStupidSpear.zip.html
(let me know if this breaks -- rapidshare only allows so many downloads)

There was a colony of cave fish people near the F4 hotkey zoom.  Some of them were killed in a scuffle with a forgotten beast, early on.  My guys eventually tunneled in, and my military killed one or two that were hostile.  There's two remaining that are friendly, including Smenrekonli there.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 05:07:46 pm »

Ah, this again.  Smenrekonli probably has some brutal kills, or at least one such.  Her weapon will be listed in the artifacts; you will doubtless find something in her kill list to explain her inflated ego.
If you haven't done so, go into data/init/announcements.txt and change [NAMED_ARTIFACT:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R] to  [NAMED_ARTIFACT:A_D:D_D], or delete outright if you want all such announcements to cease.  (Don't forget to set it back later.)
If you wish to to terminate her, it probably won't be too hard.  Since she lacks wings, you can probably drop a cave on her head.  Or you could deal with her more directly.  Spears are incredible for eliminating fleshy megabeasts, and her stats will be well above those of an ordinary Cave Fish Woman.  However, going toe-to-toe with an armed, armored sentient will probably end her.  If you can get your dwarves to assassinate her, that'll do; otherwise, see if you can lure her into combat with goblin (or other such) siegers.  That said, there's an argument to keeping her alive; theoretically, she should be very good against megabeasts (capable of dodging their attacks and getting vital organs with her spear).  If you can tolerate her clogging your legends and the constant (toggleable) announcements with her manic renaming, you've got yourself a top-notch Forgotten Beast remover.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 02:17:49 am »

It's a feature, not a bug.
Yeah, right. Ask Toady. Wanna bet on answer?
Check her for memory problems. If she has weak memory, she might keep forgetting the name and assigning a new one.
She's a cave fish woman. I'm basically picturing a goldfish with legs. Yeah... memory.  ;)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 06:04:09 am »

It's a feature, not a bug.
Yeah, right. Ask Toady. Wanna bet on answer?

I happen to like the named tools. You spend a few years with a pick or spear in your hand and never let it go even to sleep and I see you naming that tool.

Yeah:Wilson.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 06:05:55 am »

THE SPIRIT OF ASAX HAS POSSESSED ANOTHER!

He does that, every now and then, being the great guardian that he is.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 06:49:42 am »

For me, the novelty of these beast slayers seems to have worn off now that the mechanism behind thier creation seems to be understood... a little like planepacked.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 [2]