Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Supercow!  (Read 3386 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Supercow!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 09:51:02 am »

No, to get more meat, you need stronger cows. Fatter cows will get you more tallow. I haven't tested it yet, but have you tried making a cow exercise pool?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 10:03:23 am »

Is there any way to breed certain animals other than killing all but two? It's not as if you can lock two black dogs in a room and hope they mate, what with spores and all that stuff.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 10:36:18 am »

Is there any way to breed certain animals other than killing all but two? It's not as if you can lock two black dogs in a room and hope they mate, what with spores and all that stuff.

Cages will prevent further spores from emerging from the creature or arriving at it.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 11:04:51 am »

Cages will prevent further spores from emerging from the creature or arriving at it.
This was an often disputed, but nonetheless verifiable fact in the last version.

Are we certain that caged creatures still do not produce or receive spores?
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 11:10:39 am »

Why does this thread make me picture the suicidal super-sheep from worms? But then more.. Cowlike.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 11:16:39 am »

What about the mad cows from worrms?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 11:23:42 am »

Interestingly, incest in breeding programs is fairly common. Keeps random factors to a minimum while reinforcing the positive traits.

Don't try controlled breeding with any wagon pulling critter, since the caravans can throw things off. Would be an interesting experiment,
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 01:02:26 pm »

Don't try controlled breeding with any wagon pulling critter, since the caravans can throw things off.

So.. your fortress is an incestuous animal brothel for the caravans?

Nice. I'm beginning to think I should charge the traders for merely visiting.

Spoiler: Yes. I went there. (click to show/hide)
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »

Don't try controlled breeding with any wagon pulling critter, since the caravans can throw things off.

So.. your fortress is an incestuous animal brothel for the caravans?

Nice. I'm beginning to think I should charge the traders for merely visiting.

Spoiler: Yes. I went there. (click to show/hide)

Probably why the elves like trading with dwarves. For the brothels.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 05:40:47 pm »

RNG: very fast, or I wouldn't have noticed and investigated.

By the way, all, in case it wasn't perfectly clear: fatness and muscularity are from birth, and increasing animals' stats will not change their DF genetics.

Not realistic, but then neither is never feeding your cattle!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 06:16:45 pm »

Demonios cuidado... Por una vaca dotado de mayor velocidad y fuerza ha sido una seña para noquear a los malhechores... Ejecutar en el miedo cuando escuche:

SUPERCOW AL RESCATE!

EDIT:
Am I the only other person that thought of this upon reading the title?

Spoiler: Translated: (click to show/hide)

BTW, does this cow calf happen to have a chicken for a brother?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:27:26 pm by Itnetlolor »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 07:23:57 pm »

BTW, does this cow calf happen to have a chicken for a brother?

If so, I'd summarily execute it. That show was one of the forerunners of today's utterly worthless, annoying, and brainless cartoons.
That's a little harsh, it was not as cruddy as the new ones.
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 11:25:35 pm »

Double-post. My opinion about Cow and Chicken may be invalid, it's only an opinion. However, that show signaled the end of several better cartoons' runs, and it was itself supremely annoying to me.

There is news in the science of breeding! A new descriptor:
"Just gigantic overall". I assume this means both fat and muscular. I really don't want to slaughter my small breeding stock to find out.

She is very muscular and just gigantic overall. Her hair is golden yellow. Her skin is brown. Her eyes are black.

Notice the changed order of the description. I think this is a significant new development in the science of cattle breeding, and I can't wait for Dwarf Therapist to catch up so that we can verify this scientifically!
The sigs topic:

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 12:36:38 am »

Double-post. My opinion about Cow and Chicken may be invalid, it's only an opinion. However, that show signaled the end of several better cartoons' runs, and it was itself supremely annoying to me.
I don't mean to extend the derail any further, but the show was pretty funny and twisted in some parts, but the decline of cartoons came from bad attempts at replicating the formula that made these original Cartoon Cartoons (and other Nicktoons) rather entertaining.

I think it got really bad when there started to be hybrids of the Spongebob formula mixed with mad Cow and Chicken bacteria (with trace amounts of a Ren & Stimpy virus). It just wouldn't stop expanding and soaking, driving creativity into madness.

But yeah, I just couldn't help making the reference when I read the title and description. All that was needed was a purple super-suit worn by the cow to complete the picture. And some Spanish voice-over to make announcement.
[/derail]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:46:47 am by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 [2]