Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you put your trade depot inside or outside?  (Read 7600 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you put your trade depot inside or outside?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 04:56:51 pm »

In the first year, usually outside. Later I'll usually bring it inside or nearly so and put it in an airlock between the fortress proper and the outside. In the new version I've taken to putting it far inside so that it's past the barracks and hospital. Defending the fortress has gotten somewhat harder with the changes and I'm not so eager to put my laborers so close to the outside.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 05:14:26 pm »

I try to put it inside, behind a pit and drawbridge. That depot will also be separated from the fortress proper by another pit and drawbridge.

DooMJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 05:41:11 pm »

Above ground, but inside my walls. I don't want to have the 'filthy' traders inside my beautyfull fortress.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 05:42:39 pm »

Anyone know if traders will eat from their own stock if, say, locked in a room surrounded by water on all sides? ENTIRELY Hypothetical.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 06:21:35 pm »

I used to always put my depot outside.

Then a rhesus macaque stole a masterpiece mug and my only crafter died of misery.

Then a giant bat slaughtered a caravan while trading was in progress, and the humans declared war. (said bat later slaughtered its way straight down the water inlet straight into my dining area later -- to meet a messy end via tame giant desert scorpion.)

Now all my depots are inside and airlocked.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:23:19 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 06:37:40 pm »

Anyone know if traders will eat from their own stock if, say, locked in a room surrounded by water on all sides? ENTIRELY Hypothetical.
They don't eat at all.  If you stop them from leaving they will eventually go beserk/insane/melancholy, livestock included(funny to see 'running around babbling' on a horse)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 06:39:15 pm »

I try to have one indoors ASAP, otherwise I would keep it equidistant from my wagon and any production areas outdoors.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 06:42:07 pm »

By airlock, do you mean completely closed off unless migrants or merchants arrive? Will merchants / caravans (?) arrive in the new version if there is no path to the depot? Or will they wait on the edge until you open the drawbridge to let them in or out?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 07:07:27 pm »

By airlock, do you mean completely closed off unless migrants or merchants arrive? Will merchants / caravans (?) arrive in the new version if there is no path to the depot? Or will they wait on the edge until you open the drawbridge to let them in or out?
I have an arrangement with drawbridges(opening or raising to prevent access) and doors(opening to allow access) so that the depot is either exposed to the outside world, or accessible from inside, but never both.  All run off one switch.  I also line the mouth with traps and chain an animal inside to suck in ambushes.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 07:14:49 pm »

The very first thing I always designate is a long, 3-tile wide tunnel into a cliff (or down from the surface with ramps), with a room at the end for the trade depot.  Once that room is dug out, I designate the depot and then move EVERYTHING in there while the miners start on the rest of the fort.  Doors behind the depot lead into the rest of the fortress.

The tunnel is great for rows and rows of weapon traps, or more frequently, something much more creative like a drowning chamber (hoping to engineer poison traps in this verion).
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 07:36:55 pm »

Bit hard to build a death chamber outside. Possible, but by the first spring?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 08:02:05 pm »

If you bring stone/wood, you can do it in the first season, definitely by the first fall.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 [2]