Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Annoying Immigrants...  (Read 1305 times)

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
Annoying Immigrants...
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:12:54 pm »

I know it helps increase the population of your fortress and all, but i wish i could lower it without changing the population cap so i no longer get anymore immigrants, and i only get population with pregnancies, making it slower and easy to work with the population, than fast and hard to work with the ever-growing population.

Like as an example. I just start out, and within the first season change, i get 9 immigrants. 9! Thats too much, and it had little to no wealth for that much, and keeping up with the food in such a short time is near impossible when you need to quickly mine out farms, AND dump water into the farms until it fills up to the brim with water to make them, or flooding the farms.

Now, this is where the question comes. How do i SHUT OFF IMMIGRANTS? Or at least lower than to nearly 1 or so.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Annoying Immigrants...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:16:56 pm »

You can't at the moment. This is one of the annoying features of DF.
Short of temporarily setting your pop cap to something smaller than your current population (though I think the game doesn't accept lower caps than 30), for then to up it again when you're ready for more migrants... there's just no way to keep migrants from arriving.

"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:28:36 pm »

The problem is exacerbated by the apparent fact that in the most recent version the population cap isn't paid any attention to until the first traders have come and gone. While you don't get migrants during the first spring, the other 2 seasons before the traders leave are often enough to give 20 migrants, which can be annoying to house.

However, I suspect that you're misunderstanding what the population cap does. It doesn't affect pregnancies. If your population cap is set at 1, and you have 140 dwarves in your fort, your women can still give birth to however many children they want. The only init setting that affects the birth of children is the [BABY_CHILD_CAP:x:y] setting. So, once the first traders have come and gone, if your population cap is set below your current population, you will indeed only get new people from pregnancies. Though you should also note that dwarven children take 12 full years to mature, which makes them unreliable sources of new labor, at best.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 05:54:01 pm »

I handle the issue of migrants by setting up a meeting area only accessible to new arrivals on the map edge.  Said meeting area just happens to be situated inside one of my specialty instant fill/reset drowning chambers.  It also works well as a trap for invaders which prefer to path to the only accessible meeting area instead of my trade depot/airlock (which is, of course, also a drowning chamber).

Dead migrants might as well be no migrants at all, save the occasional free axes and picks etc.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:04:52 pm »

Well until immigration can be lowered in a sense, i guess i can lower the pop cap until then. No more immigrants is fine for me.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:10:18 pm »

If your population cap is set at 1, and you have 140 dwarves in your fort, your women can still give birth to however many children they want.
O rly?  Thanks for the heads up!  On that note, is there an absolute max on population including births?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:39:48 pm »

Really though, isn't this what the population cap is for?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:46:44 pm »

O rly?  Thanks for the heads up!  On that note, is there an absolute max on population including births?
The [BABY_CHILD_CAP:x:y] and [POPULATION_CAP:z] values, taken together, can be an absolute cap. The x value sets how many children can be in your fort at once, so if it's set to 0, no new pregnancies will occur, thus no new births. The y value is what % of your fort's population can be children, so, again, at 0 there'll be no pregnancies. And, of course, the z value is how many people can be in your fort before migrants are disallowed. So, set z below your current population and x and/or y to 0 and your population will not grow.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Shakzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [Escutcheon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:04:58 pm »

Well until immigration can be lowered in a sense, i guess i can lower the pop cap until then. No more immigrants is fine for me.
...Or you could create an awesome way to kill all of your migrants. Like flooding the entire map with magma    ;)