Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population cap is 50... so why do they keep coming?? D:  (Read 1110 times)

DrBenTheWise

• Bay Watcher
  • I specialize in Health Care.
    • View Profile
Population cap is 50... so why do they keep coming?? D:
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:09:02 pm »

Alright, so I took the advice of fellow players and set the population cap in my init file to 50.

Now, for some reason... the cap hit 50, but now migrants are starting to show up again. Why??

I should also note that one of my dwarves had a baby, pushing the cap and making my population 51. Could this have something to do with it?

Any help will be appreciated.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Population cap is 50... so why do they keep coming?? D:
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:10:47 pm »

I hear you don't stop recieving immigrants until the liaison confirms with the mountainhomes that your fortress is full.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

DrBenTheWise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:12:55 pm »

So the Liasion has to come by and conduct a meeting that will finally stop these migrant waves? I'm thinking it's about time to start smooshing some of these peasants if this doesn't stop soon. >_>

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:32:54 pm »

That previous point isn't true...

The cap has always been buggy, but yes - your birthed baby likely has something to do with it.  The cap is only truly enforced when -exact- population is reached.  If more immigrants arrive at once than the max, or if a baby is born, you will continue to receive immigrants.

Turn off all pregnancies in the fort in the init by setting the 100 and 1000 to 0.   This option is just below your pop cap option.  If for some reason you rise above your pop cap, or are nearing it, simply save your game, quit, go into your init, and set your pop cap to that -exact- number.

Unfortunately, that's the way the pop cap has always been.

DrBenTheWise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:49:34 pm »

Alright, that's good. I had previously set the birth cap thing to 0 after that one stupid baby came around... so now I've got the cap set at 58. Hopefully... it'll stay that way. My fort is entirely above ground, with little homes and apartment complexes built entirely out of wood. You could imagine how pesky it is to keep adding floors onto those things when trying to keep up with the cap. >_>

Anyways, thanks for making that clear for me. :D

Jumpp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:00:49 pm »

"The cap is only truly enforced when -exact- population is reached."

Near as I can tell, that isn't quite accurate.  My population usually stabilizes at around 20 above the level in the .ini file.  The wave of migrants that gets you to your limit will usually get you over.  And you'll usually get another wave of so after that.  But it'll stop eventually.

Best thing to do is just figure out how many dwarves you really want, and then set the cap 20 below that.  It'll come out about the way you want.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:04:21 pm »

"The cap is only truly enforced when -exact- population is reached."

Near as I can tell, that isn't quite accurate.  My population usually stabilizes at around 20 above the level in the .ini file.  The wave of migrants that gets you to your limit will usually get you over.  And you'll usually get another wave of so after that.  But it'll stop eventually.

Best thing to do is just figure out how many dwarves you really want, and then set the cap 20 below that.  It'll come out about the way you want.

I could be wrong, but that's how it's always worked for me.  So long as the population was exact, immigrants would continue to show up - at times in mass.  Perhaps it does stop after a time, but having an exact pop cap equal to my current pop seems to keep it from happening for me.