Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (..) has bled to death  (Read 687 times)

Brzhk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(..) has bled to death
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:55:18 am »

Hello,

it has been several times now that my dwarves die quite all together - bleeding to death. Sometimes it's just 1 or 2, but now 25 of my 40 dwarves and pets (stray or not) die all together, and i can't see any reason - there is no message explaining why.

Is there an obvious reason i can't see?

EDIT: creating a military squad might be a reason ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:58:05 am by Brzhk »

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: (..) has bled to death
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:18:33 am »

Search button is your friend. This is the acid rain bug.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 04:20:15 am »

It is the  water....
the deadly water.

In 0.31 there seems to be a little bug that lets bodyparets covered with water melt in hot environments.

Leads to things like deadly rain  that kills everything outside,  but also to dwarfs getting killed
if covered in water and being inside, if they ae in hot rooms.

According to bugtracking the next version of DF (which hopefully will come soon)
will have fixed the bug.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:20:37 am »

Several common options:

* A recent bug with temperature - if you're in hot/scorching biome, rain could easily kill dwarves by being super-heated plasma of watery death
* The same bug lends to a new "feature" - if a wet dwarf walks close to magma (according to some, even within a few squares off undiscovered magma), they will boil and die
* Poison etc. can have that effect - did you kill a cave creature?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
* Maybe infection is rampart through your fortress? This one I'm not sure about, but maybe one dwarf got a contaminated wound, and that spread out? Toady One was talking about diseases... Make sure you have a running hospital.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:28:09 am »

Hospitals do nil against infection.  Have had 5 dwarves, two dogs, and a kitten die to infection and neither Doctors (I have 5 of them who just idle all day; all medical disciplines enabled and nothing else) nor Animal Caretakers do anything about it, or can even tell it's there maybe.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.