Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Additional Sound Support?  (Read 544 times)

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Additional Sound Support?
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:51:16 am »

Please forgive my newbishness if this has been covered sufficiently.

I'd like it if it were possible to create sounds to be played during certain events.  It could be turned on/off of course, and ideally would be up to the community to mod in the sounds.   Here's some examples of what I was thinking could be possible -

*"Splat" sound  if something dies on-screen.
*Differing ambient music depending on different biomes being on-screen.  A different soundtrack could make a swamp feel a lot different than a forrest.
*Small, soft noises like chewing, mining and crafting that could add up to sound like a bustling fortress. 

I don't know if this would be successful, I was merely being a bit nostalgic toward watching my miners and woodcutters in Age of Empires 1, and remembering the satisfying sounds they made.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Sound Support?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:19:34 am »

The zoom level should probably affect the volume, otherwise it'll quickly turn into a cacophony

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:08:20 am »

Reminds me of Settlers, where each building would make noise, in addition to the birds, deer, woodcutters and such.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

plenum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:03:00 am »

Added suggestion to the voting board: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/eternal_voting.php under title "Sound Signal Interface"

Sound signal interface would be nice.

So that people could wear sound sets, just like graphical tilesets. The sounds of forge works, furnace ops, lava, water, birds singing, mason, crowd etc... + additional parameter to every signal - volume of sound.

I believe, this would bring more colors in game.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:36:45 am by plenum »
Protect diversities: biological, ecological, cultural.
This yields colorful future to our (grand)children.

big_archer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:11:45 am »

Sounds are needed, agreed.
I guess, some fans may contribute and make more background music. The current theme is great, but one cant listen to it forever. A playlist is a good idea.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:49:10 pm »

Whew, a fairly recent topic.

I had a few thoughts on this, and my thoughts are pretty much just like plenum's.

Add in a bunch of "placeholder" coding for sounds.  Allow people to add in their own sounds for certain events.  Certain announcements or special announcements can get their own signals if they're important enough.  Ordinary tasks right now would be unimportant and too tedious to add in (like hauling and treecutting and mining and would quickly overlap each other).  Basic stuff, like:

- Death (for struck down, bleed to death, suffocate)
- Cave-in
- All "Spoiler"/Artifact/Siege/Migrant/Trader announcements
- Ambiance (for the big stuff only - giant eagles, elephants, etc)
- "Strike with weapon" sounds that would play in fairly common (not every attack) for battles for slicing, bludgeoning, and piercing weapons, and maybe wrestling
- Any other events that should grab the player's attention

Ordinary dorfing tasks don't need sounds for 'em, but audio stimulation for things that should grab the player's attention would be good.  The more the merrier, and the player can always remove files from the audio directory if they don't like audio cues for a specific event.

For dulling sounds that are distant how about an imaginary marker in the center of the screen.  Anything within XX tiles in a circular pattern on the current z-level of it is full blown normal audio.  Anything past that to a limit of YY tiles is "softened", and anything past that is omitted.  Optionally, sounds up or down one z-level that are separated by rock, the sounds can be "muffled" if they're inside the XX limit.  Anything from XX to YY would be "softened" and "muffled" (read: inaudible) for a little more ease of locating the source.  The one problem would be that unless DF modifies the sound files in-game, players would have to go into their favorite editor and make 2-3 versions of each file.  By comparison, it wouldn't be too many files and would probably be much less work compared to coding the game to change the audio itself.

Of course all in all that system's probably a little way more complex than what DF would need.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.