Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gremlin Hunter!  (Read 1051 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Gremlin Hunter!
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:43:22 pm »

So I was pootling along with my USE_ANY_PET_RACE modded civ, and a caravan rocked up!  On it, I found a named gremlin hunter in a cage.

He's refusing to do any work, though, just chilling in my dining hall.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Gremlin Hunter!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:56:10 pm »

HE IS YOUR NEW GOD-KING.

BUILD HIM AN ELABORATE THRONE ROOM WITH A MAGMA/WATERFALL.

A THRONE WITH AN OBSIDIAN FALL.

ALL HAIL KING GREMLIN HUNTER
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:01:37 pm »

Am I the only person to notice that it's a SHE?  Or is everyone suffering from single-character dyslexia?

In any case, intelligent or semi-intelligent pets have been popping up for some time now, and there are a number of threads on the subject.  The elves frequently show up with animalmen, humans, dwarves, and even other elves locked away in cages.

Although they seem incapable of fully integrating into society, I believe it's possible to assign them to certain noble positions, and possibly the military.  Not sure about it though, as I've never had it happen to me.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:11:23 pm »

How exactly does one appear to be three-hundred-and-sixty-one?
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:37:04 pm »

Well, however a 361 year old gremlin would look... there you have it!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:50:47 am »

Spoiler: The Unfunny Truth(ish) (click to show/hide)

--I think.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 03:23:32 am »

You got a tally mark tattoo and added one each year.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:43:45 am »

Can you actually assign her jobs? I was under the impression that intelligent creatures that joined you but were not of the main race could not change their occupation without memory hacking.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:17:56 am »

Can you actually assign her jobs? I was under the impression that intelligent creatures that joined you but were not of the main race could not change their occupation without memory hacking.

You're right on that count. I worked extensively on testing the limits of Intelligent Pets in 40d & though you could buy sentient creatures they couldn't do much except hang out and party with eachother. Some would have professions listed as "Hunter" but would rarely hunt & would never equip weapons or armor to hunt with. You could also assign them to the Military, but only in Squads of 1 & you couldn't command the squad or tell them to equip anything. They also needed to drink (mostly water).

Another test which made Dwarves into [Common_Domestic] pets allowed you to buy Dwarves on Embark. These COULD be assigned labors and put into the military & were treated as normal Civilization Members in every way even though they were bought on Embark as pet animals. They even formed relationships with Non-Pet dwarves & could be elected as Nobles. Of course if you added the [Trainable] tag you could turn them into War or Hunting Dwarves, but then they were essentially Lobotomized & could no longer be given Labors or equipment.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 11:26:06 am »

Oh Zarquon.  I can see it now.  A pair of war dwarves chained to the enterence of your fort.  Their expressionless faces constantly on the lookout for sneaking goblins and kobolds.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.